Diamondbacks use big 7th inning, down PadresMay 25, 2013 - 7:27 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Paul Goldschmidt's two-run double capped a five-run seventh inning, and the Arizona Diamondbacks defeated the San Diego Padres, 5-2, in the opener of a three-game series at Chase Field.
Wil Nieves, Martin Prado and A.J. Pollock drove in one run apiece for the Diamondbacks.
Arizona starter Brandon McCarthy (2-3) allowed one run on five hits and two walks over seven frames. Heath Bell escaped trouble in the ninth to notch his seventh save.
"I try to throw as many strikes as I can, and whatever I have that day just let it go into each pitch and sometimes it works and sometimes the other team will punish you if you're not on your stuff," McCarthy said. "But more often than not, if you just have conviction and just keep trying to do it, luck will favor you a little bit."
Everth Cabrera hit a solo shot and Yonder Alonso had an RBI for the Padres, who have lost three straight. Starter Eric Stults (4-4) was tagged for four runs on six hits and two walks in 6 1/3 innings.
"I made the pitches I wanted to make, but I didn't get the results you normally get when you make your pitch," Stults said. "You have to give them credit, they hit some good pitches. Overall, I just came up short."
Carlos Quentin doubled to lead off the second and scored on a single by Alonso.
The Diamondbacks mustered just three hits before finally scoring in the seventh. Miguel Montero hit a ground rule double off Stults to begin the inning. Prado followed with a double to right, scoring Montero. Two batters later, Cliff Pennington drew a walk and pinch-hitter Nieves put Arizona in front, 2-1, with a double to center.
Dale Thayer came in to relieve, but he allowed a single by Pollock, scoring Pennington. Joe Thatcher replaced Thayer. Didi Gregorius bunted towards the pitcher, but Nieves was thrown out at the plate. Thayer was replaced by Anthony Bass, who gave up a double to Goldschmidt, plating Pollock and Gregorius.
Cabrera's solo shot started the eighth. Quentin doubled with two outs, but Alonso popped out to center to end the frame.
Bell came to pitch in the ninth. Will Venable reached first on a bunt and Alexi Amarista, pinch-hitting for Nick Hundley, drew a walk with one out. However, Bell got Mark Kotsay to fly out and Cabrera to ground out to end the game.
Gregorius has reached base safely in 13 of 14 games against NL West opponents ... Goldschmidt has 38 RBI, tied with Troy Tulowitzki for second-most in the National League ...Gerardo Parra was caught stealing for the seventh time this season, most in the majors.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
May 25 12:23 AM
- Everth Cabrera lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 5 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 24 11:52 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to center scored A.J. Pollock and Didi Gregorius with two out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 24 11:46 PM
- A.J. Pollock single to left scored Cliff Pennington with one out. On the play, Wil Nieves advances to third. Runners on first and third and Didi Gregorius due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 24 11:37 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Wil Nieves double to center scored Martin Prado with one out. On the play, Cliff Pennington advances to third. Runners on second and third and A.J. Pollock due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 24 11:34 PM
- Martin Prado double to right scored Miguel Montero with none out. Runner on second and Gerardo Parra due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 24 11:25 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to left scored Carlos Quentin with none out. Runner on first and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 24 9:58 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 9:41 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21