Cuddyer productive in return, leads Rox over GiantsMay 25, 2013 - 6:52 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Michael Cuddyer, in his first game off the disabled list, hit a solo home run and drove in three to back six strong innings from Tyler Chatwood as the Colorado Rockies took a 5-0 win over the San Francisco Giants to open a three-game set.
Chatwood (3-0) won his third straight start as he gave up just four hits and a walk while striking out four for the Rockies, who snapped a nine-game losing streak in San Francisco. Carlos Gonzalez hit a solo homer and DJ LeMahieu drove in a run in the win.
Tim Lincecum (3-4) lost his second consecutive start after giving up four runs on seven hits with a pair of walks and eight strikeouts over seven innings for the Giants, who have dropped seven of their past 10 games.
"Overall, I would say Tim was okay," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "It's hard to say that when you do give up four, but there was some bad luck involved with that. It was an improvement, and he had good stuff tonight, but he did make a couple of mistakes."
Colorado jumped on top in the first inning with a pair of runs. With one away, Nolan Arenado and Gonzalez hit singles before Troy Tulowitzki flied out. Cuddyer, though, stroked a double to right that scored both runners for a 2-0 lead.
In the fourth, the Rockies added a run when LeMahieu smacked a single to right to plate Cuddyer, who made it to first base on a wild pitch-strikeout and moved to second when Todd Helton followed with a single.
Cuddyer led off the sixth with his eighth homer of the season, a solo shot to left, and Gonzalez started the eighth with his 12th of the season, a blast to right, for a 5-0 lead.
"Cuddyer picked up where he left off. Especially in two-strike and RBI situations, he is a tough out. Another guy in the middle of our lineup that drives in runs really well," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
Chatwood had little trouble over his six innings as he didn't allow a runner past second and set the Giants down in order in the first and fourth.
Josh Outman worked a 1-2-3 seventh inning while Matt Belisle did the same in the eighth.
Wilton Lopez stranded two men on base in the ninth to finish off Colorado's third shutout of the season.
Cuddyer was on the DL since May 12 with an inflamed cervical disc in his neck. To make room on the roster, the team optioned second baseman Josh Rutledge to Triple-A Colorado Springs ... Each side has won four games this season ... Chatwood's last start was also against San Francisco, as he scattered seven hits and four walks along with one run over 5 2/3 innings last Saturday.
- COLORADO: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
May 25 12:42 AM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 5, Giants 0 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 25 12:14 AM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 4, Giants 0 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 24 11:41 PM
- DJ LeMahieu single to right scored Michael Cuddyer with two out. On the play, Todd Helton advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Tyler Chatwood due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 24 11:11 PM
- Michael Cuddyer double to right scored Nolan Arenado and Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 24 10:23 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 10:18 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21