D-Backs escape with win over Rangers in twinbill openerMay 28, 2013 - 12:10 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Tyler Skaggs tossed six scoreless innings and Cody Ross added a homer, as Arizona withstood a late Texas rally to claim a 5-3 victory in the opener of an interleague doubleheader.
Paul Goldschmidt, Martin Prado and A.J. Pollock each knocked in a run for the Diamondbacks, who have won two in a row and three of four.
Recalled from Triple-A Reno prior to the game, Skaggs (1-0) allowed three hits and walked three while fanning nine. He also added his first major-league hit with a leadoff single in the fourth.
"He executed a great game plan, had all of his pitches going," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said of Skaggs. "His changeup was lights out."
Adrian Beltre hit a two-run single and Jurickson Profar added a run-scoring hit in a three-run ninth for the Rangers, who have lost two straight after winning three in a row.
"We certainly had opportunities early, we just couldn't deliver a base hit when he had those opportunities against Skaggs," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "It took until the ninth inning before we started getting base hits to put some runs on the board."
Martin Perez (0-1) yielded nine hits and four runs -- three earned -- over his 5 1/3-inning start.
In a span of six batters, Tony Sipp and Heath Bell almost demolished what Skaggs, Will Harris and David Hernandez had built up.
Sipp walked Geovany Soto to begin the ninth, and after striking out Craig Gentry, he gave up back-to-back singles, forcing Bell into the game to clean up the bases-loaded mess.
He promptly served up an RBI single to Profar and a two-run hit to Beltre which closed the Rangers' gap to 5-3. Nelson Cruz fanned swinging, and Mitch Moreland grounded out -- earning Bell his ninth save in a less than stellar effort.
Arizona took the lead during its first turn at the plate, after Goldschmidt reached on a fielder's choice grounder, moved up on a Ross hit and scored on Prado's single.
Pollock doubled home Wil Nieves and came around on a Goldschmidt single in the second for a 3-0 game, then Ross launched his second homer of the year to left field for a four-run spread in the fifth.
Nieves walked with one out in the home eighth and later scored on Eric Hinske's pinch-hit double.
Skaggs earned his first win since his first major-league start, a 3-2 victory against the Marlins on Aug. 22, 2012 ... After the completion of tonight's doubleheader, the series shifts to Arlington for two more games on Wednesday and Thursday ... Arizona will be required to send Skaggs back to Reno on Tuesday and Perez will have to be returned to Triple-A Round Rock since the 26-man roster exception for a doubleheader will expire ... Diamondbacks pitchers struck out 15 Texas batters.
- TEXAS: 3
May 27 6:49 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored David Murphy and Elvis Andrus with one out. On the play, Jurickson Profar advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Diamondbacks 5 Top 9, 1 OutMay 27 6:47 PM
- Jurickson Profar single to left scored Geovany Soto with one out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to second and David Murphy advances to third. Bases loaded and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 1, Diamondbacks 5 Top 9, 1 OutMay 27 6:45 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Eric Hinske double to right scored Wil Nieves with two outs. Runner on second and A.J. Pollock due up.
Rangers 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 27 6:27 PM
- Cody Ross one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Martin Prado due up.
Rangers 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 27 5:18 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to center scored A.J. Pollock with two outs. On the play, Didi Gregorius advances to third. Runners on first and third and Cody Ross due up.
Rangers 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 27 4:29 PM
- A.J. Pollock double to center scored Wil Nieves with two outs. Runner on second and Didi Gregorius due up.
Rangers 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 27 4:24 PM
- Martin Prado single to right scored Paul Goldschmidt with two outs. On the play, Cody Ross advances to third. Runners on first and third and Gerardo Parra due up.
Rangers 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 27 4:00 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 3:41 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21