Ryu, Dodgers blank AngelsMay 29, 2013 - 5:28 AM Los Angeles Dodgers to a 3-0 victory over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the finale of a brief two-game set at Chavez Ravine.
Ryu (6-2) struck out seven without issuing a walk to notch his first career shutout and help the Dodgers earn their second straight win over the Halos.
"It was a good night...my first complete-game shutout," Ryu said through his interpreter. "After the seventh inning, my pitch count wasn't too high and I felt I had good stuff. I didn't walk anybody. I was pretty happy."
Luis Cruz clubbed a two-run homer and A.J. Ellis added an RBI single for the Dodgers, who will head to Angels Stadium on Wednesday and Thursday for two more games to complete the Freeway Series.
Former Dodger Joe Blanton (1-8) allowed all three runs on seven hits over seven innings to absorb the loss for the Angels, who had won eight straight games before bowing to the Dodgers on back-to-back nights.
The Dodgers broke through against Blanton in the fifth as Juan Uribe started the inning with a single before trotting around the bases on Cruz's fly ball over the left-field wall.
The home team tacked on another run in the sixth when Matt Kemp clubbed a one- out double and scored on Ellis' single to right for a 3-0 edge.
Ryu, meanwhile, was nearly unhittable, retiring 19 Angels in a row following Howie Kendrick's one-out single in the second.
Chris Iannetta broke up the string of consecutive outs with a double in the eight, but Ryu bounced back by retiring J.B. Shuck on a groundout to short.
Ryu secured the shutout with a 1-2-3 ninth.
"He pitched a strong game and came right after us," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Ryu. "We didn't get many good looks tonight."
Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton was scratched from the starting lineup with back spasms ... Ryu, who also doubled, improved to 3-0 over his last four starts ... Blanton pitched for the Dodgers in 2012 and was facing his former team for the first time since signing with the Angels in the offseason.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 3
May 29 12:24 AM
- A.J. Ellis single to right scored Matt Kemp with two outs. On the play, Ellis out at second, right to first to short to second. None on and Juan Uribe due up.
Angels 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 28 11:48 PM
- Luis Cruz none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Juan Uribe. Hyun-Jin Ryu due up.
Angels 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 28 11:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 10:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22