Pirates win in extras off Martin's walk-offMay 31, 2013 - 5:04 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - One has been plenty for the Pittsburgh Pirates lately.
Russell Martin's RBI single in the 11th inning lifted the Pirates to a 1-0 win over the Detroit Tigers in the finale of a brief two-game set.
Pittsburgh downed the Tigers 1-0 in 11 innings in Detroit on Tuesday and have won four 1-0 decisions over its last 11 tilts.
"That's the beauty of the game, our pitchers have gone out there and been extremely stingy," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of the recent 1-0 wins.
Neil Walker began the 11th with a single against Luke Putkonen (1-1) before Andrew McCutchen walked and Gaby Sanchez grounded a base hit through the hole on the left side to load the bases.
Martin then drilled one off the low wall in left-center for his fifth career walk-off hit.
Bryan Morris (3-2) picked up the win with a scoreless top of the 11th for Pittsburgh, which has prevailed in 16 of its last 20 contests and moved to a season-high 14 games over .500.
Doug Fister struck out 12 and surrendered just four hits and a walk over seven dominant innings for the Tigers, who dropped three straight to the Buccos after taking the opener of the home-and-home series in Detroit.
"Both the pitchers did a great job out there," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland. "Runs have been pretty scarce for everyone the past couple of days."
Miguel Cabrera smacked a pair of doubles in defeat.
The Tigers wasted a pair of opportunities in the fifth and seventh with a runner at third and less than two outs.
Back-to-back singles by Matt Tuiasosopo and Brayan Pena began the fifth, but Tuiasosopo was thrown out at home by Travis Snider after Avisail Garcia slapped a base hit through the hole on the right side. Fister's base hit loaded the bases with one away, but Pena was forced out at home after Omar Infante hit a grounder to third and Andy Dirks rolled one to second to finish the inning.
With runners on the corners in the seventh, Dirks popped out and Cabrera grounded out to conclude the frame.
The Tigers were 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 11 men on base.
Pirates starter Jeff Locke allowed seven hits and a walk over 5 1/3 innings ... Pittsburgh was 2-for-6 with runners in scoring position ... Martin and Walker had two hits apiece.
- DETROIT: 0
May 30 10:42 PM
- Russell Martin single to left center scored Neil Walker with none out to win the game.
Tigers 0, Pirates 1 Bot 11, 0 OutsMay 30 10:40 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 7:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21