Dodgers down Rockies in extrasJun 1, 2013 - 5:51 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Luis Cruz's go-ahead, RBI groundout in the Dodgers' two-run 10th lifted Los Angeles to a 7-5 win over the Colorado Rockies in the opener of a three-game set.
The Dodgers held a 5-2 lead after seven, but Colorado pushed across a run in the eighth on a Wilin Rosario groundout and tied the game in the ninth when Todd Helton smacked a towering two-run homer into the second deck in right on the 11th pitch of his at-bat against Los Angeles closer Brandon League (1-2).
"It would be easy to lay down there," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "The boys kind of bounced right back up."
Ramon Hernandez singled against Rafael Betancourt (1-3) to begin the 10th before Scott Van Slyke struck out. Skip Schumaker's base hit put runners on the corners and pinch-runner Carl Crawford, who replaced Hernandez, scored when Cruz smoked a comebacker off the foot of Betancourt. Betancourt was able to retrieve the ball and throw out Cruz at first, but Juan Uribe singled to center to bring home Schumaker.
Ronald Belisario tossed a scoreless bottom half for his first save of the season.
Clayton Kershaw fanned five and surrendered three runs on eight hits and two walks over seven-plus innings for the Dodgers, who snapped a brief two-game skid.
Dexter Fowler tallied three hits and two runs scored for Colorado, which has dropped three straight and six of its last seven.
"We've played a lot of tight games this year and sometimes the reward for competing like that is getting punched in the gut. I like the way our guys fought back against a really good pitcher," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
The Dodgers plated three in the third and two more in the fourth to jump out to a 5-0 advantage.
Cruz was hit by a pitch to begin the third and came home when Uribe doubled down the left-field line. Uribe scampered to third on Kershaw's sacrifice bunt and scored on Mark Ellis' single to center. Andre Ethier worked a walk and Ellis was pushed across when Adrian Gonzalez grounded a base hit through the hole on the right side.
With two outs in the fourth, Jon Garland intentionally walked Uribe to put runners on the corners for Kershaw, who made Colorado pay with a two-run double to left-center.
Colorado got a pair of runs back in the home half when Michael Cuddyer hit a one-out, run-scoring single and Rosario registered an RBI groundout.
The Dodgers were 4-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base ... The Rockies' starter Garland allowed five runs on seven hits and three walk over five frames.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Jun 1 12:05 AM
- Juan Uribe single to center scored Skip Schumaker. Runner on first with two out and Brandon League due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 5 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 31 11:56 PM
- Luis Cruz ground out pitcher to first scored Carl Crawford. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 5 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 31 11:56 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Todd Helton one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored DJ LeMahieu. Eric Young due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 5 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 31 11:35 PM
- Wilin Rosario grounded into a double play, short to first scoring Dexter Fowler. Michael Cuddyer out at second andTroy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 31 11:15 PM
- Wilin Rosario ground out third to first scored Troy Tulowitzki. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 31 9:54 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to right scored Dexter Fowler. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 31 9:52 PM
- Clayton Kershaw double to center scored Scott Van Slyke and Juan Uribe. Runner on second with two out and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 31 9:34 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Mark Ellis. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 31 9:20 PM
- Mark Ellis single to center scored Juan Uribe. Runner on first with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 31 9:15 PM
- Juan Uribe double to left scored Luis Cruz. Runner on second with none out and Clayton Kershaw due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 0 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 31 9:11 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22