Padres hold off Blue JaysJun 2, 2013 - 7:20 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Everth Cabrera had three hits and two RBI in the San Diego Padres' 4-3 win over the Toronto Blue Jays in the middle test of a three-game interleague set.
Robbie Erlin (1-0) picked up his first win in his first career start. He surrendered two runs on eight hits over 6 2/3 innings for San Diego, which downed the Blue Jays in 17 innings Friday and has won four of its last five games.
"He pitched well," Padres manager Bud Black said of Erlin. "He came in and threw his strikes, used his three pitches, looked comfortable for the first pitch to his last."
The schedule starter, Clayton Richard, was scratched after tossing two innings in Friday's marathon.
Luke Gregerson allowed a run in the ninth, but still notched his first save of the season. Huston Street, San Diego's regular closer, was placed on the 15- day disabled list Saturday with a strained left calf muscle.
Adam Lind smacked a solo homer among his two hits and scored twice for the Blue Jays, who have dropped four of their last five tilts.
Mark Buehrle (2-4) allowed four runs -- three earned -- on 10 hits and a walk over six frames.
Colby Rasmus' RBI single in the second put the Blue Jays on top, but the Padres answered with three runs in the home half. Jedd Gyorko and Yasmani Grandal began the third with a single and double, respectively, to put runners on second and third. Gyorko scored on Kyle Blanks' base hit.
Later, with the bases loaded and two away, Cabrera rolled an infield single just past the pitcher's mound on the third base side. Buehrle picked up the ball and one-hopped the throw past the first baseman Lind, which allowed two runners to score and give San Diego a 3-1 lead.
"I think I hesitated just a second and realized Edwin (Encarnacion) was charging. By the time I turned and threw it, I was off balance and obviously made a mistake," Buehrle said of the error.
Lind smacked a two-out solo shot to right-center in the fourth, but Cabrera's two-out RBI single in the home half pushed the spread back to 4-2.
Back-to-back one out singles by Rasmus and Maicer Izturis put runners on the corners with one away in the ninth. Melky Cabrera then blooped one into center to plate Rasmus.
A leaping grab by Gyorko at second on a soft liner by pinch-hitter Emilio Bonifacio accounted for the second out and Jose Bautista grounded into a force out to end the game.
San Diego was 3-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base, while Toronto was 2-for-7 with RISP and stranded eight ... Lind's homer was his fifth of the year.
- TORONTO: 3
SAN DIEGO: 4
Jun 2 12:32 AM
- Melky Cabrera single to center scored Colby Rasmus with one out. On the play, Maicer Izturis advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Neil Wagner due up.
Blue Jays 3, Padres 4 Top 9, 1 OutJun 2 12:29 AM
- Everth Cabrera infield single to second scored Jesus Guzman with two outs. Runner on first and Chase Headley due up.
Blue Jays 2, Padres 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 1 11:19 PM
- Adam Lind two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right center. Mark DeRosa due up.
Blue Jays 2, Padres 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 1 11:08 PM
- Everth Cabrera single to pitcher scored Yasmani Grandal and Kyle Blanks with two out. On the play, Everth Cabrera advances to second on Mark Buehrle's throwing error. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to third. Runners on second and third with Chase Headley due up.
Blue Jays 1, Padres 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 1 10:53 PM
- Kyle Blanks single to third scored Jedd Gyorko with none out. On the play, Yasmani Grandal advances to third. Runners on first and third with Jesus Guzman due up.
Blue Jays 1, Padres 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 1 10:38 PM
- Colby Rasmus single to center scored Adam Lind with two out. Runner on first and Maicer Izturis due up.
Blue Jays 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 1 10:33 PM
- TORONTO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 10:12 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22