Wainwright helps Cards to doubleheader sweep of GiantsJun 2, 2013 - 3:37 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Adam Wainwright tossed nine innings of one- run ball to lead the St. Louis Cardinals to a 7-1 win over the San Francisco Giants in the second game of a day/night doubleheader at Busch Stadium.
Wainwright (8-3) was tagged for eight hits and struck out 10 without issuing a walk to earn his third straight win. It was his third complete game of the season and the 14th of his career.
Carlos Beltran and Ty Wigginton each collected two hits and drove in two runs, while Jon Jay, Daniel Descalso and Shane Robinson added one RBI apiece for the Cardinals, who also took the opener of the twin bill 8-0.
"Right now we're putting some things together and really starting to get going. It starts with the pitching, and our starters gave us a great opportunity today. We also had timely hitting," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny.
Andres Torres drove in the lone run for the Giants, losers in five of their last six games.
"Today was a tough day. We score one run and they play great. We didn't pitch great and didn't hit the ball. This is a great team and we didn't do a good enough job to contain them," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
Madison Bumgarner (4-4) allowed five runs on six hits while fanning six over six frames en route to his third loss in four starts. Bumgarner hasn't picked up a win since May 11.
St. Louis pushed three runs across in the third inning. With runners on second and third, Jay smoked a grounder to first baseman Brandon Belt, who couldn't handle the ball, allowing Pete Kozma to score. After Yadier Molina grounded out, Beltran ripped a base hit to center to score Wainwright and Jay.
The Cards added two more in the sixth. David Freese doubled and Wigginton singled to put runners on the corners for Descalso, who smacked an RBI single to right field. Robinson followed with a sacrifice fly to give the hosts a 5-0 lead.
The Giants got on the board in the seventh as Belt opened the frame with a double then scored on Torres' infield single.
Wigginton's two-run single in the home half put the game out of reach.
The Cardinals were 4-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... Wainwright has held opponents to three or fewer runs in 11 of 12 starts this season ... The Giants have scored just 16 runs over their last six games ... San Francisco outfielder Angel Pagan has missed the last seven game with a strained left hamstring ... Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval missed both games on Saturday with a foot injury.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
ST. LOUIS: 7
Jun 1 9:51 PM
- Ty Wigginton single to center scored Yadier Molina and Carlos Beltran. On the play, David Freese advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Daniel Descalso due up.
Giants 1, Cardinals 7 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 1 9:26 PM
- Andres Torres single to second scored Brandon Belt. Runner on first with none out and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 1, Cardinals 5 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 1 9:09 PM
- Shane Robinson sacrifice fly out to center scored Ty Wigginton. Runner on first with one out and Pete Kozma due up.
Giants 0, Cardinals 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 1 8:59 PM
- Daniel Descalso single to right scored David Freese. On the play, Ty Wigginton advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Shane Robinson due up.
Giants 0, Cardinals 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 1 8:56 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to center scored Adam Wainwright and Jon Jay. Runner on first with two outs and David Freese due up.
Giants 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 1 8:04 PM
- Jon Jay grounded into a fielder's choice scored Pete Kozma. On the play, Adam Wainwright advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Giants 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 1 8:00 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 7:17 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21