Crisp, A's bury BrewersJun 4, 2013 - 5:43 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Coco Crisp finished 4-for-5 with a solo homer and two runs run scored and Brandon Moss also hit a solo shot as the Oakland Athletics crushed the Milwaukee Brewers, 10-2, in the opener of a three-game interleague series at Miller Park.
In the first meeting in Milwaukee between the clubs since 1997 -- the first year of interleague play -- it was the Athletics who jumped out to an 8-2 lead through five frames and never looked back.
John Jaso had three hits and drove in two runs, while five other players drove in at least one run for the Athletics, who have won four straight and 15 of 17 overall. Tommy Milone (6-5) allowed both runs on five hits over seven innings and struck out four in the victory.
"The at-bats we had most of the night were really good," Oakland manager Bob Melvin said.
Rickie Weeks' two-run homer in the fifth accounted for Milwaukee's offense. Weeks appeared to homer again in the seventh, but after video review, the hit was ruled a triple after replay showed the ball did not break the barrier of the outfield wall.
Marco Estrada (4-4) was charged for five runs on nine hits over five-plus frames to absorb the loss.
"When you get behind the count a lot, you have to go back over the middle of the plate sometime," Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke said of Estrada. "And in a fastball count, it's hard to say how to pitch people when every hitter is a little bit different. You really have keep the ball down."
Oakland took an early 2-0 lead thanks to solo homers from Crisp and Moss in the first and second inning, respectively.
The visitors continued to break out the bats and erupted for six runs in the fifth to take control.
Jed Lowrie's RBI double brought home Jaso and on the play, Yoenis Cespedes advanced to third. It was Estrada's last batter of the game.
Burke Badenhop also struggled against the A's, as Josh Donaldson's RBI single made it 4-0 and Josh Reddick's poke up the middle pushed the lead to 5-0.
Later in the same inning, Eric Sogard was intentionally walked to put runners on first and second with two outs before Milone added to the cause with a run-scoring single. After another walk, Jaso rounded out the scoring barrage with a two-run single, scoring Sogard and Milone to give the A's a commanding 8-0 lead.
Milone's only real mistake came in the home half, as he served up a two-run homer to Weeks, cutting the Brewers' deficit to 8-2.
Cespedes helped tack on two more Oakland runs in the seventh with a fielder's choice groundout, with Milone and Crisp crossing home thanks to Weeks' throwing error at second on a double-play attempt.
The A's swept the most recent series at home, taking all three meetings June 10-12, 2002 ... Oakland has won each of the last four starts by Milone ... Estrada fell to 0-5 in nine interleague games -- four starts ... Milwaukee has dropped five straight at home for the third time this season.
- OAKLAND: 10
Jun 3 11:19 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes grounded into a fielder's choice to second scored Tommy Milone and Coco Crisp with two outs. On the play Cespedes, advances to second on Rickie Weeks's throwing error. John Jaso out at second on the force short to second. Runner on second and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 10, Brewers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 3 10:34 PM
- Rickie Weeks none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Carlos Gomez. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Athletics 8, Brewers 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 3 9:57 PM
- John Jaso single to left scored Eric Sogard and Tommy Milone with two outs. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 8, Brewers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 3 9:49 PM
- Tommy Milone single to center scored Josh Reddick with two outs. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to second. Runners on first and second and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 6, Brewers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 3 9:44 PM
- Josh Reddick single to center scored Jed Lowrie with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 5, Brewers 0 Top 5, 1 OutJun 3 9:39 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to right scored Yoenis Cespedes with none out. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 4, Brewers 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 3 9:37 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to right center scored John Jaso with none out. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 3, Brewers 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 3 9:26 PM
- Brandon Moss one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 2, Brewers 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 3 8:29 PM
- Coco Crisp lead-off Home Run (6) to right. John Jaso due up.
Athletics 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 3 8:11 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 3 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21