Padres edge Rockies in 12th inningJun 7, 2013 - 2:19 PM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Yasmani Grandal pushed home the go-ahead run on a controversial play in the top of the 12th inning, and the San Diego Padres took a 6-5 win over the Colorado Rockies in the opener of a four-game series at Coors Field.
Manny Corpas (0-1) looked like he was going to get an inning-ending double play ball when Grandal chopped a high grounder toward third with the bases loaded.
Nolan Arenado fielded the ball and stepped on third to record the second out, but his throw to first was deemed late by first base umpire Ed Hickox and the go-ahead run crossed the plate.
"We played well, we thought we had a good chance, we probably should have taken care of business earlier in the game, but we didn't unfortunately," said Arenado.
The Padres, who were winless in their first six meetings of the season with their division rival, received two scoreless frames from Luke Gregerson (4-2) and saw Brad Boxberger lock down his first save of the season.
"There was some tremendous baseball along the way, there is no doubt about it" said Padres manager Bud Black. "Big clutch pitches, some big hits on both sides, some good defensive plays. It was a hell of a game."
The Rockies rallied from an early four-run deficit and Wilin Rosario's two-run homer in the bottom of the eighth tied the contest at 5-5.
Cameron Maybin had two hits and knocked in a pair of runs in his return from the disabled list for the Padres. He also made a phenomenal over-the-shoulder basket catch to end the 11th inning.
The Rockies' DJ Lemahieu recorded his second hit of the game with one out in the frame and advanced to second on Corpas' sac bunt. Eric Young lifted a shot into deep center, but Maybin tracked it down to make the inning ending snag.
Rosario, who went 2-for-5 with an RBI double earlier in the contest, tied the score at five runs apiece in the bottom of the eighth when he ripped an offering from Dale Thayer into the left field seats for a two-out, two run homer.
San Diego broke into Colorado starter Jhoulys Chacin with a four-run fourth inning to open up the scoring.
Jedd Gyorko doubled in a run and moved Carlos Quentin to third on his double down the third base line. Quentin came home on a groundout from Mark Kotsay, and Gyorko slid underneath a tag at home plate on Maybin's fielder's choice to make it 3-0.
Maybin then stole second, took third on Rosario's throwing error and scored on Nick Hundley's groundout to cap the four-run burst.
A double from Michael Cuddyer in the bottom half of the fourth put the Rockies on the board, and they pulled within 4-2 an inning later.
LeMahieu ripped a one-out double into left, then attempted to steal third base. He slid in ahead of the throw, which sailed into left field and LeMahieu scored easily.
Each team traded scores in the sixth, with Maybin knocking in his second run of the day on a base hit and Rosario countering in the home half on a run- scoring double to make it 5-3.
Chacin was charged with five runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings. He was 4-1 in nine career starts against the Padres coming in ... Padres starter Andrew Cashner went seven innings and yielded three runs on seven hits ... San Diego's Everth Cabrera went 2-for-6 and has 13 multi-hit games in his last 22 contests.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
Jun 7 12:46 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Yasmani fielder's choice ground out to third scored Chase Headley with two out. On the play, Jedd Gyorko advances to second. Kyle Blanks out at third. Runners on first and second and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 6, Rockies 5 Top 12, 2 OutsJun 7 12:34 AM
- Wilin Rosario two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Jordan Pacheco. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 6 11:20 PM
- Wilin Rosario double to left scored Jordan Pacheco with two out. Runner on second and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 6 10:45 PM
- Cameron Maybin single to center scored Carlos Quentin with one out. On the play, Jedd Gyorko advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 6 10:28 PM
- DJ LeMahieu stole third, scored on Nick Hundley's throwing error with one out. None on and Jhoulys Chacin at the plate.
Padres 4, Rockies 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 6 10:17 PM
- Michael Cuddyer double to center scored Nolan Arenado with two out. Runner on second and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 6 9:53 PM
- Nick Hundley ground out short to first scored Cameron Maybin with two out. None on and Andrew Cashner due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 6 9:41 PM
- Cameron Maybin reached on a fielder's choice scored Jedd Gyorko with one out. Runner on first with one out and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 6 9:36 PM
- Mark Kotsay ground out second to first scored Carlos Quentin with one out. On the play, Jedd Gyorko advances to third. Runner on third and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 6 9:35 PM
- Jedd Gyorko doubled to left scored Chase Headley. On the play, Carlos Quentin advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 6 9:35 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22