Liriano cruises, Pirates blank CubsJun 8, 2013 - 4:54 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Francisco Liriano spun seven shutout innings to help the Pittsburgh Pirates blank the Chicago Cubs, 2-0, in the first of a three-game set at Wrigley Field.
Despite walking five batters, Liriano (4-2) allowed just two hits while striking out eight to snap a three-game losing streak for the Buccos. The lefty has pitched superb since missing the first six weeks of the season with a fractured forearm, allowing one or no runs in five of his six outings.
Russell Martin finished 2-for-3 with an RBI, ending a four game hitless drought. Travis Snider drove in the other run.
"It was one of those days when you're missing your spots. I was missing with everything," Liriano admitted. "But you have to compete to the end. And (Martin) called a great game."
Travis Wood (5-4) pitched well in defeat, yielding just one run on four hits with six strikeouts over six frames.
Wood was cruising, until the sixth inning.
Jordy Mercer hit a one-out double to left field and moved to third on an Andrew McCutchen fly out. Following a walk Gaby Sanchez that put runners on the corners with two outs, Martin delivered an RBI double to score the first run of the game.
"I got the outs when I needed," Wood said, "except the one that really counted."
The Cubs had a chance to score in the fifth after Liriano surrendered his first hit of the game to Wood. With runners on second and third with two outs, Anthony Rizzo looked at three straight strikes to end the threat.
The Pirates added an insurance run in the ninth off Cubs reliever Carlos Villanueva.
Martin worked a lead-off walk and was followed by a Pedro Alvarez single that moved him to third. Following a strikeout, Snider grounded into a fielder's choice to double the lead.
It took Jason Grilli a little longer than usual to pick up his league leading 23rd save of the season. After striking out the first two batters in the ninth, he allowed consecutive singles before fanning Darwin Barney to secure the win.
The Cubs have a 6-17 record within their division, the fewest wins for any club within it's own division ... Chicago has committed 42 errors this season, good for the third-most in the majors ... Pittsburgh's bullpen leads the majors in saves (25) ... The Pirates were 1-for-9 with RISP ... Cubs' reliever Carlos Marmol has tossed 11 straight scoreless innings.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
Jun 7 5:33 PM
- Travis Snider grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Russell Martin. Pedro Alvarez out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Melancon due up.
Pirates 2, Cubs 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 7 5:14 PM
- Russell Martin doubled to left scored Jordy Mercer. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 1, Cubs 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 7 4:09 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 2:23 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21