Rockies outlast PadresJun 8, 2013 - 6:49 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Nolan Arenado crushed the game-winning homer in the ninth inning to lift the Colorado Rockies past the San Diego Padres, 10-9, in the second test of a four-game set at Coors Field.
The Padres rallied for five runs in the seventh inning and had a chance to add more with the bases loaded and two outs. Carlos Quentin ripped a hard-hit grounder down the third-base line, but Arenado made a spectacular stab, turned and fired a strike to catch Quentin at first to get out of the jam.
"Defense is a big part of my game," Arenado said. "A lot of people didn't think I could play defense. It's funny, I've been showing more of my defense than my bat lately."
After Matt Belisle (4-2) retired the side in order in the eighth and ninth innings, Arenado crushed a 1-1 fastball over the wall in left field for the game winner.
Arenado finished the game 2-for-5 with two RBI and Todd Helton added three hits and three RBI for the Rockies, winners in five of their last seven games.
Carlos Gonzalez had two triples and three RBI before exiting the game before the seventh inning after suffering an apparent ankle injury while batting in the sixth.
Padres starter Edinson Volquez lasted just 2 1/3 innings after giving up nine runs on 11 hits. It was his shortest outing of the season.
Joe Thatcher (2-1) was pegged with the loss after giving up the game-winner.
"It was a fastball," Thatcher said. "Tried to get it to the outer half. It backed up. He (Arenado) didn't miss it."
Quentin and Kyle Blanks each went 3-for-5 with a homer and three RBI and Jedd Gyorko had four hits, including a solo shot for the Padres, losers in four of their last six games.
The Rockies jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning. Eric Young reached on a fielder's choice and Gonzalez walked to put runners on first and second with one out. Troy Tulowitzki followed with a line drive single to center before Helton clobbered a two-run double off the wall in right field to give the hosts an early three-run edge.
Blanks' two-run homer made it 3-2, but Colorado added five more in the second to take a six-run lead. Gonzalez crushed a two-run triple before scoring on a Helton base hit. Arenado's base hit scored Tulowitzki and Yorvit Torrealba scored Helton with an infield single to cap the scoring.
Quentin singled come Everth Cabrera in the third, but Gonzalez ripped an RBI triple in the bottom half to give the Rockies a 9-3 lead.
Blanks' RBI single in the fifth scored Quentin to pull the Padres within 9-4.
Quentin and Gyorko hit back-to-back homers in the seventh to make it 9-7. Chase Headley was hit by a pitch to open the frame and Quentin followed with a towering fly to left field. Gyorko then smashed his eighth four-bagger to nearly the same spot.
Blanks doubled then scored on a Cameron Maybin single to center and Cabrera capped the inning with an infield single to DJ LeMahieu to score Maybin.
Colorado was 6-for-16 with runners in scoring position ... Rockies starter Jorge De La Rosa gave up four runs on 11 hits over five frames ... San Diego was 4-for-11 with RISP and left 10 runners on base.
- SAN DIEGO: 9
Jun 8 12:16 AM
- Nolan Arenado lead-off Home Run (5) to left to end the game.
Padres 9, Rockies 10 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 8 12:09 AM
- Everth Cabrera infield single to second scored Cameron Maybin with one out. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to second and Yasmani Grandal advances to third. Bases loaded and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 9, Rockies 9 Top 7, 1 OutJun 7 11:26 PM
- Cameron Maybin single to center scored Kyle Blanks with none out. Runner on first and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 8, Rockies 9 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 7 11:11 PM
- Jedd Gyorko none-out, Solo Home Run (8) to left. Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 7, Rockies 9 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 7 11:07 PM
- Carlos Quentin none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Chase Headley. Jedd Gyorko due up.
Padres 6, Rockies 9 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 7 11:05 PM
- Kyle Blanks single to right scored Carlos Quentin with two out. On the play, Jedd Gyorko advances to second. Runners on first and second and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 9 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 7 10:31 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez triple to right scored Dexter Fowler with one out. Runner on third and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 9 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 7 10:00 PM
- Carlos Quentin single to right scored Everth Cabrera with two out. Runner on first and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 8 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 7 9:47 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba infield single to third scored Todd Helton with two out. On the play, DJ LeMahieu advances to second and Nolan Arenado advances to third. Bases loaded and Jorge De La Rosa due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 8 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 7 9:36 PM
- Nolan Arenado single to right scored Troy Tulowitzki with two out. On the play, Todd Helton advances to third. Runners on first and third and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 7 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 7 9:32 PM
- Todd Helton single to center scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nolan Arenado due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 7 9:29 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez triple to right scored Dexter Fowler and Eric Young with two out. Runner on third and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 7 9:26 PM
- Kyle Blanks one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Jedd Gyorko. Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 3 Top 2, 1 OutJun 7 9:11 PM
- Todd Helton double to center scored Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki with one out. Runner on second and Nolan Arenado due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 7 8:59 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to center scored Eric Young with one out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Todd Helton due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 7 8:56 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22