Goldschmidt, Corbin help D'backs down GiantsJun 8, 2013 - 6:03 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Paul Goldschmidt hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning, Patrick Corbin tossed 7 1/3 solid innings and the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the San Francisco Giants, 3-1, in the opener of a three-game series.
It was Goldschmidt's 15th homer of the year and he increased his National League lead with 57 RBI. He has an RBI in seven straight games, the longest streak by a Diamondbacks player since Chad Tracy in 2005.
"I just tried to not let the previous at bats affect my last at bat. Whether the game is on the line, or whatever the situation is, you have to do your job," said Goldschmidt.
Corbin got a no-decision after giving up one run on seven hits. The left- hander was trying to become the first pitcher in Arizona Diamondbacks history to open a season 10-0. Brad Ziegler (3-1) recorded the final two outs in the eighth to pick up the win.
Gregor Blanco knocked in the lone run for the Giants. Matt Cain allowed one run on four hits over seven-plus frames. Jeremy Affeldt (1-2) gave up the homer to Goldschmidt to take the loss.
"Cain was outstanding, he did a terrific job," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Arizona wasted a golden scoring opportunity in the first inning. Gerardo Parra singled and Willie Bloomquist walked to start the frame. Parra moved to third when Goldschmidt grounded into a double play. Miguel Montero and Cody Ross followed with walks to load the bases. Cain, though, settled down and got Martin Prado to ground out.
The Diamondbacks had a runner tagged out at the plate in the fifth. Didi Gregorius led off with a double and moved to third on A.J. Pollock's fly ball. Gregorius tried to score when Corbin hit a grounder to first, but the throw home beat him.
Corbin retired 12 straight batters following Andres Torres' one-out double in the third. Pablo Sandoval and Brandon Belt hit consecutive one-out singles in the seventh. Blanco's RBI single to center made it 1-0 San Francisco.
Goldschmidt came through for Arizona in the eighth. Pollock led off with a single to chase Cain from the game. Affeldt recorded two outs before walking Bloomquist. Goldschmidt stepped to the plate and smacked Affeldt's offering over the wall in right.
Heath Bell worked around a two-out single in the ninth to record his 11th save of the season.
The Giants placed outfielder Angel Pagan on the 15-day disabled list and recalled outfielder Juan Perez from Triple-A Fresno ... Umpire Jerry Layne removed himself from Friday's game after aggravating a prior left rib injury.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Jun 8 12:29 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt two-out, three-run Home Run (15) to right scored A.J. Pollock and Willie Bloomquist. Miguel Montero due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 8 12:17 AM
- Gregor Blanco single to center scored Pablo Sandoval with two out. On the play, Brandon Belt advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Cain due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 7 11:36 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 9:41 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21