Stults, Padres slip past RockiesJun 9, 2013 - 5:43 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Eric Stults worked seven strong innings to guide the San Diego Padres past the Colorado Rockies, 4-2, in the third installment of a four-game set at Coors Field.
Stults (5-5) gave up two runs -- one earned -- on seven hits. It was his first win since May 18.
"I think Stults did a pretty good job navigating through some things, but I think that we're one or two timely hits away from winning that game," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
Kyle Blanks hit a two-run homer and Everth Cabrera went 3-for-4 with an RBI, a run scored and two stolen bases for the Padres, winners in three of their last four games.
Luke Gregerson stranded a pair of runners in the ninth to pick up his second save of the season.
Tyler Colvin had an RBI and Dexter Fowler had two hits and scored a run for the Rockies, who lost for the second time in five games.
Jeff Francis (2-4) was tagged with the loss after giving up four runs on six hits and three walks over four innings.
The Padres took a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Cabrera walked, stole second then scored on Chase Headley's base hit to right.
Colorado was able to tie the game in third as Fowler scored on Yasmani Grandal's throwing error. With Carlos Gonzalez batting and runners on the corners, Eric Young stole second base. Grandal's throw skipped into the outfield allowing Fowler to score from third base easily.
Blanks added a two-run homer in the off the left-field foul pole in the fourth and Cabrera doubled home Cameron Maybin later in the frame to make it 4-1.
"I was talking to it, trying to make it stay fair. I think I might have been talking louder than (Francis) was leaning," Blanks said.
DJ LeMahieu ripped a one-out triple in the seventh then scored on Colvin's ground out to first base.
In the ninth, pinch-hitter Jonathan Herrera singled and Nolan Arenado walked to put two runners on with no outs. LeMahieu moved the runners up with a sacrifice bunt, but Gregerson was able to record the final two outs of the game to preserve the win. He retired Colvin on a line drive to second and Fowler struck out.
Cabrera leads the majors with 28 stolen bases ... Blanks has three homers in his last five games ... Colorado went 0-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
Jun 8 10:38 PM
- Tyler Colvin grounded out to first scored DJ LeMahieu with two outs. None on and Dexter Fowler due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 8 9:55 PM
- Everth Cabrera double to left scored Cameron Maybin with two outs. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 8 8:47 PM
- Kyle Blanks none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Jedd Gyorko. Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 8 8:26 PM
- Dexter Fowler scores on Yasmani Grandal's throwing error with two outs. Carlos Gonzalez struck out swinging. On the play, Eric Young steals second on Yasmani Grandal's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 8 8:24 PM
- Chase Headley single to right scored Everth Cabrera with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 8 7:26 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 7:18 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22