Marlins best Brewers on Stanton's homerJun 12, 2013 - 5:14 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Giancarlo Stanton's two-out, two-run homer in the bottom of the eighth inning lifted the Miami Marlins over the Milwaukee Brewers, 5-4, in the middle game of a three-game set at Marlins Park.
Stanton crushed the first pitch he saw off reliever Jim Henderson (2-2) to put the Marlins ahead. Juan Pierre beat out an infield single to get on base with one out in front of the go-ahead blast.
"It was all set up by (Pierre) with that great at-bat, giving (Stanton) a chance to get up there and make that great swing," Marlins manager Mike Redmond remarked.
Derek Dietrich also had a two-run homer while Logan Morrison added a run- scoring double, his first RBI of the year, for the Marlins.
Aramis Ramirez, Jonathan Lucroy, Yuniesky Betancourt and Scooter Gennett each collected an RBI for the Brewers, whose four-game winning streak came to an end.
Chad Qualls (2-0) pitched a perfect top of the eighth to earn the win, while Steve Cishek picked up his seventh save of the year with a scoreless ninth.
Although he has just one win in his last seven decisions, Brewers starter Wily Peralta had an effective outing, surrendering three runs on five hits over six innings.
Miami starter Jacob Turner was dinged for four runs -- three earned -- on five hits with six strikeouts over six frames in his third start of the season. In his first two, he allowed just one run in 13 innings.
The Marlins struck first in the second. Marcell Ozuna sent a shot up the middle and Morrison drove the speedster in with an RBI double to center. Dietrich then slammed a two-seam fastball to the upper deck in right field to grab an early 3-0 lead.
Milwaukee took advantage of Miami's mistakes in the fourth. Carlos Gomez struck out swinging to start the inning but was safe at first on a wild pitch. After three pickoff attempts, the fourth was costly, getting past first baseman Morrison and allowing Gomez to reach third. Lucroy brought in the run with a sacrifice fly.
Jean Segura singled in the sixth and stole second to get himself into scoring position. Gomez and Ramirez hit back-to-back groundouts, respectively, to cut the deficit to one.
The Brewers used a two-run seventh inning to take a 4-3 lead.
Betancourt hit a one-out triple that was misplayed by right fielder Stanton to score Rickie Weeks, who worked a walk. Gennett delivered a perfectly placed sacrifice bunt down the third baseline to bring in Betancourt.
"I just wanted to make sure that I got the correct sign and I was relaxed and put myself in the best position to execute," Gennett said of his bunt.
Milwaukee's Ryan Braun missed his second straight game with a thumb injury ... The Brewers have gone a season-high eight consecutive games without committing an error ... Pierre extended his hitting streak to eight games ... Norichika Aoki's 11-game hitting streak was snapped, along with his 72 consecutive plate appearances without striking out ... Milwaukee was 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position ... Cishek has not allowed a run in 10 career games against Milwaukee.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Jun 11 9:37 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Juan Pierre. Marcell Ozuna due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 11 9:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Scooter Gennett sacrifice bunt to third scored Yuniesky Betancourt. None on with two outs and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 11 8:51 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt triple to right scored Rickie Weeks. Runner on third with one out and Wily Peralta due up.
Brewers 3, Marlins 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 11 8:50 PM
- Aramis Ramirez ground out third to first scored Jean Segura. None on with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 2, Marlins 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 11 8:37 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy sacrifice fly out to center scored Carlos Gomez. None on with two outs and Logan Schafer due up.
Brewers 1, Marlins 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 11 8:09 PM
- Derek Dietrich none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Logan Morrison. Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Brewers 0, Marlins 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 11 7:44 PM
- Logan Morrison double to center scored Marcell Ozuna. Runner on second with none out and Derek Dietrich due up.
Brewers 0, Marlins 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 11 7:42 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21