Cubs outlast Reds in 14-inning thrillerJun 14, 2013 - 2:41 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Julio Borbon delivered a pinch-hit, two-out, game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the 14th inning to help the Cubs steal a 6-5 victory over the Cincinnati Reds in the finale of a four-game set at Wrigley Field.
Facing the Reds' sixth reliever of the game, Jonathan Broxton (2-2), Starlin Castro opened up the frame with a single. The next batter, Anthony Rizzo, struck out, but Castro stole second. Alfonso Soriano then hit a slow chopper back to the mound to move Castro to third and, after Nate Schierholtz was intentionally walked, Bourbon came through with the difference-making single to left.
"I was looking for a pitch to drive," Borbon said. "I've been definitely working on some things and was looking for that pitch definitely middle away, to be able to stay on it and I got it and was ready for it."
Cincinnati held a 5-4 advantage heading into the eighth, but the Cubs rallied off reliever Sam LeCure. Schierholtz walked with one out and Luis Valbuena followed with a single. After Welington Castillo flew out, Darwin Barney hit a game-tying RBI single to right.
Hector Rondon (1-0) earned the win after escaping a jam in the top of the 14th. With runners on second and third and two outs, Rondon struck out Derrick Robinson to end the threat in a 10-pitch at-bat.
Jay Bruce had four hits and Joey Votto drove in two runs for the Reds, who had won 12 straight at Wrigley -- the best mark by any opponent at the Cubs' home park.
"We really didn't want to use Broxton because he was sore," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He was our last, last, last resort. I was even asking guys if they used to pitch in case I had to use a position player."
David DeJesus hit a solo homer and Schierholtz finished with two triples and three runs scored for the Cubs, who had lost eight of 10 coming in.
Reds starter Mat Latos earned a no-decision, but added to his own streak of failing to lose a game for the 21st consecutive start dating back to last year. He yielded four runs on eight hits over six frames.
Chicago starter Jeff Samardzija lasted six frames, allowing five runs and four walks on 10 hits.
With the game tied 2-2 through four frames, Cincinnati plated a pair of runs in the fifth after Samardzija allowed a leadoff walk and a single to Zack Cozart. Votto and Brandon Phillips then smacked back-to-back RBI singles to push the visitors' lead to 4-2.
DeJesus cut the deficit to 4-3 with a solo shot to right in the home half of the inning, but Votto put the edge back to two runs with a fielder's choice to left, plating Shin-Soo Choo to make it 5-3.
Latos' only other issue came in the sixth as Schierholtz smacked a triple to right with one out. Luis Valbuena then grounded out back to the mound, but scored Schierholtz to bring the Cubs within 5-4.
Soriano helped put the hosts on the board with an RBI single in the first frame, plating Castro, who lined a hit up the middle with one out earlier in the inning.
The lead was short-lived, though, as Cincinnati took a 2-1 advantage in the top of the second.
Samardzija looked to get out of a jam after allowing consecutive singles to open up the frame by forcing Xavier Paul to line into a double play. Devin Mesoraco, however, followed with a run-scoring single, and after Latos kept the inning alive with a hit, Choo came through with another RBI single.
Schierholtz record his first triple to lead off the fourth, and two batters later, Castillo brought him home and tied the game at 2-2 with an RBI single.
Latos' hasn't lost since Aug. 24, 2012 versus St. Louis ... Cubs reliever Carlos Marmol recorded his 700th career strikeout in the 10th inning after fanning the side ... The Reds are 19-4 in the last 23 meetings with Chicago ... The Cubs' bullpen tossed eight innings, allowing three hits and one walk with 13 strikeouts ... Game time: 5:07.
- CINCINNATI: 5
Jun 13 7:36 PM
- Pinch-hitter Julio Borbon singled to left scoring Starlin Castro with two out to end the game.
Reds 5, Cubs 6 Bot 14, 2 OutsJun 13 7:32 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to right scoring Nate Schierholtz with two out. On the play, Luis Valbuena advances to third. Runners on first and third and James Russell due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 13 5:17 PM
- Luis Valbuena grounded out first to pitcher scoring Nate Schierholtz with two out. None on and Welington Castillo due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 13 4:30 PM
- Joey Votto flied into a fielder's choice, left to second, scored Shin-Soo Choo with two out. Zack Cozart out at second. Runner on first and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 13 4:22 PM
- David DeJesus one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Starlin Castro due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 13 4:09 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to center scoring Zack Cozart with none out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 2 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 13 3:54 PM
- Joey Votto singled to center scoring Shin-Soo Choo with none out. On the play, Zack Cozart advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 2 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 13 3:51 PM
- Welington Castillo singled to center scoring Nate Schierholtz with one out. Runner on first and Darwin Barney due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 13 3:44 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo singled to left scoring Devin Mesoraco with two out. On the play, Mat Latos advances to second. Runners on first and second and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 13 3:00 PM
- Devin Mesoraco singled to left scoring Jay Bruce with two out. Runner on first and Mat Latos due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 13 2:58 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to second scoring Starlin Castro with one out. On the play, Anthony Rizzo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Reds 0, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 13 2:46 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 2:23 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21