Dodgers top Pirates in 11-inning thrillerJun 16, 2013 - 3:50 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Juan Uribe delivered the go-ahead hit in the 11th inning as the Los Angeles Dodgers edged the Pittsburgh Pirates, 5-3, to win the second tilt of a three-game set at PNC Park.
Andre Ethier connected on a double off Vin Mazzaro (3-1) to lead off the 11th and was moved to second on a sacrifice bunt before being driven in by a Uribe single to left. Pinch-hitter Nick Punto added an insurance run with a two-out, RBI double.
Brandon League was able to grab his 14th save of the season despite a shaky bottom of the 11th inning, in which he allowed runners on second and third with one out but escaped with no damage done.
The Pirates had a chance to win the game in the 10th after loading the bases with two outs, but Peter Moylan (1-0) was able to get pinch-hitter Michael McKenry to fly out.
Pittsburgh's Travis Snider came through with a one-out, game-tying home run in the bottom of the ninth off Kenley Jansen, who was unscored upon in his last 12 innings prior.
Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw yielded just one run on three hits while collecting eight strikeouts over seven solid innings, but hasn't earned a win in his last five starts.
"You control what you can control and that's what I'm trying to do," said Kershaw.
Brandon Cumpton was dinged for three runs on seven hits with five strike outs over five frames in his Major League debut. His five strike outs came against the first six batters he faced.
"It had to be a thrill," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle on Cumpton's debut. "It was a very professional job and I'm very proud of him."
After an Alex Presley double to start the game, Kershaw ran into some trouble walking two of the next three batters. It appeared that he got Russell Martin to ground into an inning-ending double play but Hanley Ramirez's throw to first was off target and allowed Presley to score.
In the fifth, A.J. Ellis singled on a line drive and was moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Kershaw. Skip Schumaker delivered a two-out, RBI single to right field to even the score at 1-1.
The Dodgers were right back at it in the sixth with an Adrian Gonzalez ground- rule double and a Ramirez single to begin the inning. Ethier's RBI single to left chased Cumpton from the game while left fielder Presley's fielding error advanced the runners to second and third.
Bryan Morris got the call from the bullpen and surrendered a Mark Ellis sacrifice fly to give the Dodgers a 3-1 lead.
Kershaw received some help in the sixth after Andrew McCutchen singled and Gaby Sanchez reached on catcher's interference with none out, when Schumaker robbed Martin of a possible go-ahead home run to left.
Dodgers reliever Chris Withrow allowed the first two runners to get on in the eighth then struck out the following two before being pulled. Neil Walker smacked a two-out single to left off Paco Rodriguez to cut the deficit to one.
Ethier went 3-for-5 ... The Dodgers were 5-for-11 with runners in scoring position ... The Pirates were 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position, with 13 men left on base... The Dodgers improved to 4-12 on the road since May 3 ... Cumpton was the 11th different pitcher to start a game for the Pirates this year.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Jun 15 7:53 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nick Punto double to left center scored Juan Uribe with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 5, Pirates 3 Top 11, 2 OutsJun 15 7:40 PM
- Juan Uribe single to left scored Andre Ethier with one out. Runner on first with one out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 4, Pirates 3 Top 11, 1 OutJun 15 7:35 PM
- Travis Snider one-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Alex Presley due up.
Dodgers 3, Pirates 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 15 7:03 PM
- Neil Walker single to left scored Jordy Mercer with two out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Dodgers 3, Pirates 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 15 6:49 PM
- Mark Ellis sacrifice fly to center scored Hanley Ramirez with one out. Runner on second with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 3, Pirates 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 15 5:45 PM
- Andre Ethier single to left scored Adrian Gonzalez with none out, advances to second on Alex Presley fielding error. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 15 5:42 PM
- Skip Schumaker single to right scored A.J. Ellis with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 1, Pirates 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 15 5:26 PM
- Russell Martin fielder's choice scored Alex Presley with two out. On the play Hanley Ramirez throwing error allowed Russell Martin to reach, Gaby Sanchez out at second, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Neil Walker due up.
Dodgers 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 15 4:29 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 4:07 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21