Feldman helps Cubs beat Mets with arm, batJun 16, 2013 - 12:31 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Scott Feldman tossed seven solid innings and knocked in two runs, helping the Chicago Cubs beat the New York Mets, 5-2, in the second test of a three-game series.
Feldman (6-5) allowed one run on two hits while striking out six for the Cubs, who have won three in a row.
"The guys behind me played some great defense," Feldman said. "It seemed like they were running down balls all over the outfield today for me which is pretty helpful."
Starlin Castro also drove in two runs for Chicago, which placed outfielder David DeJesus on the 15-day disabled list prior to the game. Cody Ransom drove in the other run.
Jordany Valdespin and David Wright each knocked in a run for the Mets, who have dropped three straight.
New York starter Jonathon Niese (3-6) gave up two runs on six hits while walking four over 5 2/3 frames. The left-hander has just one victory in his last 10 starts.
"I just have to stay positive...can't be afraid to fail," Niese said of his struggles. "I think that's the biggest thing. If you're afraid to fail, you're going to fail."
The Cubs scored a pair of runs in the fourth to break a 0-0 tie. Anthony Rizzo and Scott Hairston walked to start the inning, and the runners moved up a base on Ryan Sweeney's groundout before scoring on Feldman's single up the middle.
Chicago loaded the bases later in the frame, but Castro struck out swinging.
The Mets got one run back in the bottom half of the frame. Daniel Murphy doubled to left and raced home on Wright's double to right.
However, Feldman retired the final 12 batters he faced to keep the Cubs ahead.
Chicago tacked on three more runs in the eighth off Scott Rice and Brandon Lyon. Welington Castillo singled and pinch-hitter Nate Schierholtz walked. Lyon took over on the mound and gave up a single to Darwin Barney to load the bases, and Ransom walked to force in a run before Castro hit a two-run double to left.
The Mets responded with one run in the bottom half, when Cubs reliever Carlos Villanueva gave up an RBI single to Valdespin. New York, though, stranded runners on second and third.
Kevin Gregg tossed a scoreless ninth for his ninth save of the season.
Niese fell to 2-4 lifetime against the Cubs ... Chicago activated pitcher Shawn Camp off the 15-day disabled list to take DeJesus' roster spot ... The Cubs went 3-for-18 with runners in scoring position and stranded 16 ... New York selected the contract of pitcher Carlos Torres from Triple-A Las Vegas, optioned pitcher Greg Burke to Las Vegas and designated pitcher Collin McHugh for assignment.
- CHICAGO: 5
NEW YORK: 2
Jun 15 4:45 PM
- Jordany Valdespin singled to right scoring Juan Lagares with one out. On the play, Kirk Nieuwenhuis advances to second. Runners on first and second with Daniel Murphy due up.
Cubs 5, Mets 2 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 15 4:11 PM
- Starlin Castro ground-rule double to left scored Nate Schierholtz and Darwin Barney with one out. On the play, Cody Ransom advances to third. Runners on second and third with Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 5, Mets 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 15 3:57 PM
- Cody Ransom walk scored Wellington Castillo with one out. Bases loaded and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 15 3:53 PM
- David Wright doubled to right scoring Daniel Murphy with none out. Runner on second and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 2, Mets 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 15 2:36 PM
- Scott Feldman singled to center scoring Anthony Rizzo and Scott Hairston with two out. Runner on first and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 2, Mets 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 15 2:19 PM
- KingHockeyMan I am such a idiot! "DAMN"! I played all of today's baseball games for except this one(Mets vs Cubs). I checked off todays games 'yesterday' thinking it was Fridays games. I didn't pay-attention! IDIOT!!! "ALL" the games look exactly alike but only the day is different. Its the same weekend games vs the same 2 teams for 3 day series! The dates are different but the games & teams are the very same for 3 full days. I didn't realize I picked Saturdays games yesterday. I picked the exact teams as Fridays games. I was 3-12. All but 2 winning record better teams won their games. The reat of the powerhouses got blown away by way weaker teams. Dumbass KingHockeyMan! ...lol. PEACE!
Cubs 0, Mets 0 End 1Jun 15 1:34 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 1:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21