Beltran, Freese fuel Cards in rout of MarlinsJun 16, 2013 - 12:57 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Carlos Beltran recorded his 35th career multi- homer game and David Freese went 3-for-4 with a homer, two RBI and three runs scored in the St. Louis Cardinals' 13-7 rout of the Miami Marlins in the middle test of a three-game set.
Yadier Molina had two hits and drove in three runs and Lance Lynn helped his own cause by plating two runs and tossing five innings for the Cardinals, winners in four of their last six.
"I felt great," Beltran said. "Got to thank God for that. I've been healthy and been working hard. Good things are happening for me and for the team and just happy where we are at right now."
Lynn (9-1) allowed a career and season-high seven runs while striking out six and walking three, but St. Louis jumped on Miami's struggling starter, Tom Koehler early and often.
Koehler (0-5) remained winless over seven starts this season, allowing nine runs on eight hits and two walks over 4 2/3 innings.
"It was a battle for me today," Koehler said. "The team did a great job of finding the bat today. It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to keep them down when we got back into the game."
Giancarlo Stanton hit a two-run homer and Rob Brantly added two hits and three RBI for Miami, which took the opener, 5-4, on Friday.
It was a high-scoring affair early on as both teams found success versus the starting hurlers.
Koehler was roughed up for a five-run first inning thanks to issuing a leadoff walk and later plunking Allen Craig to load the bases with one out. Molina then plated two runs with a single to left, setting off a chain of events in which the next three St. Louis batters all drove in one run.
Freese smacked a RBI single up the middle, Daniel Descalso hit a double and Pete Kozma rounded out the scoring with a fielder's choice, plating Freese to give the visitors a 5-0 advantage.
Miami fought back in the home half and cut the deficit to 6-5 as Juan Pierre opened up the action with a triple, extending his season-high hitting streak to 11 games, and Ed Lucas brought him home with an infield single. Lynn retired the next two batters, but walked Derek Dietrich, keeping the inning alive.
Adeiny Hechavarria smacked an RBI single, Greg Dobbs was plunked and Brantly came through with a two-run single to center, bringing both runners home to make it 5-4.
The slugfest continued over the next two frames, as Beltran hit a solo homer in the second to make it 6-5, Stanton added a two-run blast in the home half to tie the game at 6-6, and Freese provided a homer in the third to put the Cards ahead 7-6.
In the fifth, St. Louis rallied with two down to add a pair of runs.
Koehler retired the first two batters he faced, but walked Freese and allowed a Descalco single, before being replaced by Ryan Webb. Kozma kept the rally alive with an infield single to second, and Lynn helped his own cause with a clutch two-run single to right to make it 9-6.
Brantly's sacrifice fly in home half of the fifth scored Hechavarria, who singled to lead off the frame, to make it 9-7, but Miami's bullpen felt the wrath of the visitors' experience over the final frames.
The Cards added three runs in the eighth and Beltran capped of his impressive game with his second homer in the ninth -- this time from the right side of the plate -- to account for the final margin.
St. Louis finished with 17 hits ... Beltran has six homers and 15 RBI during a 14-game hitting streak ... Prior to the game, Miami placed catcher Miguel Olivo on the restricted list and recalled outfielder Jordan Brown from Triple- A New Orleans ... It was the 11th time in Beltran's career his has hit two home runs from each side of the plate.
- ST. LOUIS: 13
Jun 15 7:28 PM
- Carlos Beltran two-out, solo Home Run 2 (16) to left. Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 13, Marlins 7 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 15 7:19 PM
- Daniel Descalso walked, and Allen Craig scored on a Dan Jennings wild pitch with two outs. Runner on first and Pete Kozma at the plate.
Cardinals 12, Marlins 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 15 7:00 PM
- Yadier Molina single to left scored Matt Holliday with none out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 11, Marlins 7 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 15 6:58 PM
- Allen Craig single to center scored Carlos Beltran with none out. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 10, Marlins 7 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 15 6:53 PM
- Rob Brantly sacrifice fly to center scored Adeiny Hechavarria with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Webb due up.
Cardinals 9, Marlins 7 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 15 6:03 PM
- Lance Lynn single to right scored David Freese and Daniel Descalso with two outs. On the play, Pete Kozma advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 9, Marlins 6 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 15 5:54 PM
- David Freese lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 7, Marlins 6 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 15 5:08 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right center scored Ed Lucas. Marcell Ozuna due up.
Cardinals 6, Marlins 6 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 15 5:03 PM
- Carlos Beltran lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 6, Marlins 4 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 15 4:51 PM
- Rob Brantly single to center scored Derek Dietrich and Adeiny Hechavarria with two outs. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tom Koehler due up.
Cardinals 5, Marlins 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 15 4:46 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria single to center scored Ed Lucas with two outs. On the play, Derek Dietrich advances to second. Runners on first and second and Greg Dobbs due up.
Cardinals 5, Marlins 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 15 4:44 PM
- Ed Lucas infield single to second scored Juan Pierre with none out. Runner on first and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Cardinals 5, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 15 4:36 PM
- Pete Kozma grounded into a fielder's choice to first. On the play, Daniel Descalso advances to third and David Freese scored with one out. Runners on first and third and Lance Lynn due up.
Cardinals 5, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 15 4:29 PM
- Daniel Descalso double to right scored Yadier Molina with one out. On the play, David Freese advances to third. Runners on second and third and Pete Kozma due up.
Cardinals 4, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 15 4:27 PM
- David Freese single to center scored Allen Craig with one out. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to third. Runners on first and third and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 3, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 15 4:24 PM
- Yadier Molina single to left scored Jon Jay and Matt Holliday with one out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 15 4:21 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 4:13 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21