Blanks' HR lifts Padres, caps sweep of D'backsJun 17, 2013 - 1:29 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Kyle Blanks hit a go-ahead three-run homer in the eighth inning as the San Diego Padres swept a three-game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks with a 4-1 win.
With David Hernandez (2-4) pitching for the Diamondbacks, Everth Cabrera singled to right with one out. After a flyout by Alexi Amarista, Chase Headley drew a walk, setting up Blank's three-run smash.
"Being able to produce is big, and the fact that it was late makes it that much better," Blanks said.
Huston Street pitched a scoreless ninth to notch his 13th save.
Clayton Richard (2-5) pitched a season-high eight solid innings, allowing one run on seven hits in his outing for the Padres, who are on a six-game winning streak.
Ian Kennedy, who is appealing a 10-game suspension for hitting Zack Greinke and starting a brawl against the Dodgers on Tuesday, got the start for Arizona. He gave up one run on four hits and a walk while striking out six in six-plus frames. He also drove in the lone run for the Diamondbacks, who have lost six of their last eight games.
The Diamondbacks struck first in the third inning. Cliff Pennington doubled to left, stole third base and scored on Kennedy's single to center.
However, Will Venable responded with a solo shot to begin the bottom of the inning.
Both teams had opportunities to break the tie but neither were able to do so until Blanks' homer. Arizona's best chance came in the sixth when Kennedy singled to start the frame. Following a sacrifice bunt by Gerardo Parra, Willie Bloomquist singled to right to put runners at the corners, but Paul Goldschmidt grounded into a double play.
Street came in to pitch in the ninth. He allowed a two-out double by Miguel Montero but got Cody Ross on a flyout to end the game.
"We couldn't come up with timely hits," Bloomquist said.
Richard had not pitched eight innings since August 25, 2012, against the Diamondbacks ... San Diego has six sweeps this season, matching its total for all of 2012 ... The Padres are 21-7 over their last 28 games at Petco Park.
- ARIZONA: 1
SAN DIEGO: 4
Jun 16 6:38 PM
- Kyle Blanks two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Everth Cabrera and Chase Headley. Mark Kotsay due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 16 6:28 PM
- Will Venable lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Nick Hundley due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 16 4:55 PM
- Ian Kennedy single to center scored Cliff Pennington. Runner on first with one out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 16 4:48 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 4:12 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21