Dutch treat: Nieuwenhuis HR in 9th caps Mets rally over CubsJun 17, 2013 - 12:00 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Kirk Nieuwenhuis smacked the game-winning three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning to help the New York Mets steal a 4-3 victory over the Chicago Cubs in the finale of a three-game set at Citi Field.
The Cubs dominated most of the contest thanks to a superb outing from starter Matt Garza. However, holding a 3-0 advantage heading into the bottom half of the final frame, the Cubs sent Carlos Marmol (2-4) to the hill and stuck with the righty even after allowing Marlon Byrd to open the action with a solo shot and issuing a walk to Lucas Duda.
John Buck's single moved Duda to second before Omar Quintanilla's sacrifice bunt put runners on second and third. That's when Nieuwenhuis cranked Marmol's fastball offering over the right-field wall for the difference maker.
"We've been struggling lately, everyone knows that," Byrd said. "But again, we've been working hard and you're always waiting for something to happen and we got it going."
Bobby Parnell (5-3) picked up the unlikely win after tossing a 1-2-3 top of the ninth for the Mets, who had lost three straight and six of seven coming in.
Alfonso Soriano drove in one run for the Cubs, who scored two runs in the fifth off two errors on the same play. Garza allowed a mere three hits over seven scoreless frames to go along with five strikeouts.
"I tried to go down and the ball just stayed right down the middle," Added Marmol.
Chicago, which was looking for its first sweep versus the Mets since 2004, had a three-game winning streak come to an end.
Mets starter Jeremy Hefner lasted five innings and allowed three runs -- one earned -- on six hits, but New York failed to muster any type of offense for him.
The Cubs jumped on Hefner early in the first, as Luis Valbuena and Starlin Castro opened up the game with consecutive singles. After Nate Schierholtz grounded into a fielder's choice, advancing Valbuena to third, Soriano came through with a single to left to make it 1-0.
Chicago added two more runs in the fifth thanks to Castro and Schierholtz reaching with two outs on a single and a walk, respectively. The Mets then handed the visitors the runs. Soriano hit a slow chopper to third, David Wright overshot first base, and Daniel Murphy, who collected Wright's miscue, fired home past Buck for another error, allowing both runs to cross home for a 3-0 Cubs lead.
New York improved to 14-23 at home this season ... The Mets had lost 11 of Hefner's 12 starts this season coming in ... The last time New York trailed by three or more runs in the ninth inning and found victory came on Sept. 22, 2011 versus St. Louis ... It was Marmol's third blown save of the season.
- CHICAGO: 3
NEW YORK: 4
Jun 16 4:08 PM
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Lucas Duda and John Buck to end the game.
Cubs 3, Mets 4 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 16 4:03 PM
- Marlon Byrd lead-off Home Run (11) to left-center. Lucas Duda is due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 16 3:54 PM
- Alfonso Soriano reached first on David Wright's throwing error which scored Starlin Castro. On the play, Daniel Murphy's throwing error scored Nate Schierholtz. Runner on third with two outs and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 16 2:32 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to left scoring Luis Valbuena. On the play, Nate Schierholtz advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 1, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 16 1:17 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 1:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21