Padres outlast Giants in 13 inningsJun 18, 2013 - 7:15 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Andrew Cashner's pinch-hit bunt single in the 13th inning scored the go-ahead run as the San Diego Padres edged the San Francisco Giants, 5-3, on Monday.
In the 13th, Alexi Amarista smacked a leadoff double off of Jose Mijares (0-1) then moved to third on Chris Denorfia's base hit that deflected off of Tony Abreu and landed in shallow right field. Cashner, Tuesday's scheduled starter, followed with a perfect bunt to the left side that allowed Amarista to score.
Kyle Blanks singled two batters later to load the bases before Yasmani Grandal worked a walk to force in Denorfia.
Gregor Blanco singled with one out in the bottom half, but Huston Street was able to record the final two outs of the game to nail down the win. It was Street's 14th save of the season.
San Diego pushed a run across in the third inning to take an early 1-0 lead. Edinson Volquez doubled then scored as Denorfia ripped a double to center field.
The Giants came back with three runs in the fourth to take the lead. With two on and one out, Brandon Belt ripped an RBI single to right field. Joaquin Arias followed with a sacrifice fly to left field. Hector Sanchez capped the inning with an RBI single to right to give the hosts a 3-1 edge.
San Diego added one run in both the sixth and seventh innings to tie the game.
With runners on the corners and two outs in the sixth, reliever Jean Machi bounced a wild pitch past Sanchez, allowing Grandal to score.
Denorfia and Logan Forsythe opened the seventh with back-to-back singles before Chase Headley ripped a base hit to left to push Denorfia across.
The Padres wasted a scoring opportunity in the ninth inning. With Forsythe on first, Headley smacked a single to center field. Forsythe attempted to go first-to-third on the play but was cut down at third base after Juan Perez delivered a strike to Arias at the bag.
San Diego put runners on the corners with one out in the 12th, but Javier Lopez struck out the final two batter of the inning to get out of the jam.
Nick Vincent (1-0) gave up a leadoff single to Belt in the bottom half. Belt then moved to second on Arias' sacrifice bunt. After Andres Torres struck out, Perez lifted one to deep center field. Will Venable, though, made an amazing diving catch on the warning track to preserve the tie.
Volquez gave up all three runs on six hits while striking out six over five innings ... San Diego was just 4-for-22 with runners in scoring position and left 17 runners on base ... San Francisco starter Barry Zito gave up two runs on six hits while striking out eight over 5 2/3 innings ... The Giants were 2- for-8 with runners in scoring position.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jun 18 2:52 AM
- Yasmani Grandal walked Chris Denorfia scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Will Venable due up.
Padres 5, Giants 3 Top 13, 2 OutsJun 18 2:41 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Andrew Cashner bunt single to third scored Alexi Amarista with none out. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 4, Giants 3 Top 13, 0 OutsJun 18 2:26 AM
- Chase Headley single to left scored Chris Denorfia with none out. On the play, Logan Forsythe advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 3, Giants 3 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 18 12:33 AM
- Yasmani Grandal scores on a wild pitch with two outs. On the play, Pedro Ciriaco stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Hundley at the plate.
Padres 2, Giants 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 18 12:20 AM
- Hector Sanchez single to right scored Brandon Belt with two outs. Runner on first and Juan Perez due up.
Padres 1, Giants 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 17 11:34 PM
- Joaquin Arias sacrifice fly out to left scored Brandon Crawford with two outs. Runner on first and Hector Sanchez due up.
Padres 1, Giants 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 17 11:30 PM
- Brandon Belt single to right scored Tony Abreu with one out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to third. Runners on first and third and Joaquin Arias due up.
Padres 1, Giants 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 17 11:29 PM
- Chris Denorfia double to center scored Edinson Volquez with none out. Runner on second and Logan Forsythe due up.
Padres 1, Giants 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 17 10:52 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 10:15 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21