Perez lifts Giants past PadresJun 19, 2013 - 7:53 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Juan Perez's RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning lifted the San Francisco Giants over the San Diego Padres, 5-4, in the middle test of a three-game series.
The Padres scored twice in the top of the eighth to take a 4-3 lead. San Diego then sent Dale Thayer (0-3) to the mound in the bottom half. Buster Posey singled and was replaced by Andres Torres, who raced home on Brandon Belt's double off the wall in right-center field. Nick Noonan was intentionally walked before Joaquin Arias lined out. Perez followed with the game-winning hit to right.
"He saved the game for us, he won the game for us," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of Perez.
Sergio Romo tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his 17th save of the season for the Giants, who snapped a three-game skid. Matt Cain got the start and gave up two runs on six hits while striking out 10 over seven innings. Jean Machi (2-0) recorded the final out in the eighth to get the win.
Belt went 3-for-4 with two runs scored for San Francisco. Gregor Blanco and Posey added an RBI apiece.
Jesus Guzman, Nick Hundley and Logan Forsythe homered for the Padres, who had a seven-game winning streak snapped. Andrew Cashner allowed three runs on 10 hits while striking out six over 6 2/3 frames.
"That was a great baseball game," said Padres manager Bud Black.
The Giants jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first. Blanco walked, stole second and scored on Posey's single to right.
San Francisco added another run in the fourth. Belt and Noonan hit back-to- back singles to start things. A run scored when Arias grounded into a double play.
Hundley and Forsythe hit solo homers off Cain in the sixth to tie the game at two.
The Giants went back in front in the seventh. Arias singled, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on Blanco's base hit up the middle.
San Diego, however, took its first lead of the game in the eighth. Jeremy Affeldt walked Forsythe before giving up a homer to pinch-hitter Guzman.
The Giants signed shortstop Christian Arroyo, their first-round selection (25th overall) in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft ... San Francisco shortstop Brandon Crawford left Tuesday's game with a sprained middle and index finger on his right hand.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Jun 19 1:28 AM
- Juan Perez single scored Brandon Belt with two out. On the play, Nick Noonan advances to third. Runners on first and third with Jean Machi due up.
Padres 4, Giants 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 19 1:16 AM
- Brandon Belt doubled scored Andres Torres with one out. Runner on second with Nick Noonan due up.
Padres 4, Giants 4 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 19 1:10 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jesus Guzman one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Logan Forsythe. Chase Headley due up.
Padres 4, Giants 3 Top 8, 1 OutJun 19 12:49 AM
- Gregor Blanco single scored Joaquin Arias with two out. Runner on first and Marco Scutaro due up.
Padres 2, Giants 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 19 12:33 AM
- Logan Forsythe one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Will Venable due up.
Padres 2, Giants 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 18 11:52 PM
- Nick Hundley lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Andrew Cashner due up.
Padres 1, Giants 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 18 11:48 PM
- Joaquin Arias grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Brandon Belt. Nick Noonan out at second. None on with two outs and Juan Perez due up.
Padres 0, Giants 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 18 11:25 PM
- Buster Posey single to right scored Gregor Blanco with one out. Runner on first with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Padres 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 18 10:33 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 10:16 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21