Goldschmidt, Kubel lead D-backs' rout of RedsJun 22, 2013 - 6:07 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Paul Goldschmidt belted two homers and Jason Kubel supplied four hits with an RBI to help fuel the offensive outburst in the Arizona Diamondbacks' 11-5 win over the Cincinnati Reds at Chase Field.
Goldschmidt broke a 3-3 tie with a two-run shot off Cincinnati starter Johnny Cueto (4-1) during a four-run fifth, then added a solo shot as the Diamondbacks put up another four-spot in the sixth.
Wade Miley got the start for Arizona in Friday's series opener, but failed to protect an early three-run lead.
Cueto had stymied Arizona in his previous six career starts, compiling a 5-0 record with a 1.66 ERA. However, the Diamondbacks jumped on the right-hander, who made his second start since coming off the disabled list.
Gerardo Parra homered to right field off Cueto to begin the bottom of the first, then Willie Bloomquist plated a pair with a two-out, bases-loaded single to center in the next inning.
"He was getting balls over the heart of the plate, the slider wasn't as sharp," Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker said about Cueto.
A red-hot Jay Bruce put Cincinnati on the board in fourth by homering for the sixth time in his last eight games. The solo blast to right field was the 150th home run of his career.
The Reds pushed two more runs across in the fifth to pull even. Joey Votto doubled home Cueto, who opened the frame by reaching on a bunt single. Shin- Soo Choo walked in front of Votto and scored the tying run on a fielding error by Arizona shortstop Didi Gregorius.
With runners on the corners, Will Harris (1-0) relieved Miley and fanned Todd Frazier to end the inning.
The Diamondbacks quickly countered in their half of the fifth to reclaim the lead. Goldschmidt followed a leadoff single by Bloomquist with a drive to right-center, and Martin Prado greeted reliever J.J. Hoover with a sacrifice fly later in the inning. Kubel, whose single chased Cueto and put men on the corners for Prado, later scored on a wild pitch by Hoover.
Arizona widened its advantage when Goldschmidt went deep for a second time in the sixth. The inning also featured RBI doubles by Kubel and Gregorius sandwiched around another Prado sac fly.
"We scored some runs early, they did a good job coming back," said Goldschmidt. "We were able to get the lead again and tack on, kind of put the game out of reach."
The Reds got a solo homer from Votto in the seventh and a run-scoring single from a pinch-hitting Devin Mesoraco in the ninth to round out the scoring.
Cueto was tagged for seven runs on 11 hits in 4 1/3 innings. He had allowed seven runs in his previous 38 career innings against the Diamondbacks, and the 11 hits allowed matched his career high ... Miley gave up five hits, walked four and struck out five in 4 2/3 innings ... The Diamondbacks designated infielder Josh Wilson for assignment on Friday and recalled pitcher Zeke Spruill from Triple-A Reno. The right-hander was part of the return in the trade that sent outfielder Justin Upton to Atlanta. Spruill made his major league debut versus the Reds, tossing a scoreless sixth.
- CINCINNATI: 5
Jun 22 1:10 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Devin Mesoraco single to center scored Derrick Robinson with two out. Runner on first and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 5, Diamondbacks 11 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 22 1:09 AM
- Joey Votto one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 4, Diamondbacks 11 Top 7, 1 OutJun 22 12:35 AM
- Didi Gregorius double to left scored Jason Kubel with two out. Runner on second and Zeke Spruill due up.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 22 12:24 AM
- Martin Prado sacrifice fly to center scored Cody Ross with two out. Runner on second and Didi Gregorius due up.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 22 12:24 AM
- Jason Kubel double to right scored Miguel Montero with one out. On the play, Cody Ross advances to third. Runners on second and third and Martin Prado due up.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 22 12:21 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, solo Home Run 2 (19) to center. Miguel Montero due up.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 22 12:09 AM
- Jason Kubel scored on a wild pitch by J.J. Hoover with two out, On the play, Eric Hinske advances to second and Didi Gregorius advances to third on the wild pitch. Runners on second and third and Gerardo Parra at the plate.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 21 11:55 PM
- Martin Prado sacrifice fly to right scored Miguel Montero with two out. Runner on first and Didi Gregorius due up.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 21 11:46 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right scored Willie Bloomquist. Miguel Montero due up.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 21 11:34 PM
- Brandon Phillips reached first on Didi Gregorius's fielding error scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 3 Top 5, 1 OutJun 21 11:20 PM
- Joey Votto double to left scored Johnny Cueto with one out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 2, Diamondbacks 3 Top 5, 1 OutJun 21 11:17 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 1, Diamondbacks 3 Top 4, 1 OutJun 21 10:51 PM
- Willie Bloomquist single to center scored Jason Kubel and Didi Gregorius with two out. On the play, Gerardo Parra advances to third. Runners on first and third and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Reds 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 21 10:24 PM
- Gerardo Parra lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Willie Bloomquist due up.
Reds 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 21 9:53 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 9:41 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21