Marlins take second straight from GiantsJun 22, 2013 - 6:59 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - The Miami Marlins rallied to score three runs in the eighth inning and defeat the San Francisco Giants, 6-3, in the second of a four-game set at AT&T Park.
Tied at 3-3 and with Jake Dunning (0-1) pitching for the Giants, Ed Lucas singled to center with one out in the eighth and Giancarlo Stanton was hit by a pitch.
Javier Lopez then came on in relief. He struck out Logan Morrison, but was replaced by Jean Machi, who gave up Marcell Ozuna's RBI single to right. Pinch-hitter Greg Dobbs then singled up the middle, plating Stanton.
Next up was Adeiny Hechavarria, who hit an infield single and the Giants' Joaquin Arias made an errant throw to first, allowing Ozuna to score.
A.J. Ramos (1-2) pitched a flawless seventh inning to pick up the win and Steve Cishek escaped trouble in the ninth to notch his 12th save.
Morrison had a home run and two RBI and Ozuna also drove in two runs for the Marlins, who saw starter Ricky Nolasco allow three runs on nine hits and two walks over 5 2/3 innings.
San Francisco starter Tim Lincecum fanned eight and gave up three runs on four hits and a walk in seven frames. Marco Scutaro, Hunter Pence and Nick Noonan had an RBI apiece in the setback.
"We just had a hard time getting that last out tonight," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
Morrison's leadoff homer in the second put the Marlins on the board.
However, the Giants scored a run in the second and third innings, respectively. With the bases loaded and one out in the second, Noonan grounded into a fielder's choice to first, but plated Pence. Scutaro ripped an RBI double to right in the third.
Two innings later, Pence smacked an two-out RBI double to right center.
Miami came back in the sixth. Lucas singled with one out and scored on a two- out triple by Morrison. Ozuna then hit an infield single, scoring Morrison and tying the game.
The Giants had a chance to retake the lead in the home half. Torres doubled to lead off but was thrown out trying to take third. Lincecum hit a two-out triple to right center, but Gregor Blanco struck out to end the frame.
In the ninth, Cishek gave up a leadoff single to Noonan. After pinch-hitter Brandon Belt struck out, Blanco hit a blooper up the middle and Scutaro's grounder to the pitcher put the tying run at the plate. However, Posey's grounded out to third to end the game.
"They made a little run at the end like you knew they would," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond. "We were fortunate enough to have a cushion. It got a little hairy at the end. They crowd got into it and it was fun."
Arias went 0-for-4, ending an 11-game hitting streak ... The Marlins hit 4- for-10 with runners in scoring position while the Giants were 1-for-14 with RISP ... The Giants have lost nine straight to the Marlins at AT&T Park. Their last win came on July 28, 2010.
- KingHockeyMan @Bell- I keep tellin every1. Baseball is a joke w/betting. Series vs single games has a huge difference in wins/losses. Football is the only team sport that does NOT play any series in their reg season or playoffs. Hockey & basket ball do not play a series but do ONLY in their playoffs which is their 2nd mini season. Other than the the NHL-NFL-NBA...baseball sux. Not the game itself but in choosing a teak for wins etc... . PEACE!
Marlins 6, Giants 3 FinalJun 22 10:55 AM
- MIAMI: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jun 22 1:31 AM
- Adeiny Hechavarria infield single to short. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to third and Marcell Ozuna scored on Joaquin Arias's throwing error with two out. Runners on first and third and Rob Brantly due up.
Marlins 6, Giants 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 22 12:56 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs single to center scored Giancarlo Stanton with two out. On the play, Marcell Ozuna advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Marlins 5, Giants 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 22 12:52 AM
- Marcell Ozuna single to right scored Ed Lucas with two out. On the play, Giancarlo Stanton advances to third. Runners on first and third and A.J. Ramos due up.
Marlins 4, Giants 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 22 12:48 AM
- Marcell Ozuna infield single to second, deflected by pitcher scored Logan Morrison with two out. Runner on first and Derek Dietrich due up.
Marlins 3, Giants 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 22 12:06 AM
- Logan Morrison triple to center scored Ed Lucas with two out. Runner on third and Marcell Ozuna due up.
Marlins 2, Giants 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 22 12:03 AM
- Hunter Pence double to right, deflected by center scored Buster Posey with two out. Runner on second and Hector Sanchez due up.
Marlins 1, Giants 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 21 11:48 PM
- Marco Scutaro double to right scored Gregor Blanco with none out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Marlins 1, Giants 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 21 11:07 PM
- Nick Noonan grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Hunter Pence with two out. Andres Torres out at second. Hector Sanchez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Tim Lincecum due up.
Marlins 1, Giants 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 21 10:53 PM
- Logan Morrison lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Marcell Ozuna due up.
Marlins 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 21 10:32 PM
- MIAMI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 10:15 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21