Greinke solid as Dodgers down PadresJun 23, 2013 - 5:12 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Zack Greinke worked eight strong innings to guide the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 6-1 win over the San Diego Padres in the third tilt of a four-game set at Petco Park.
Greinke (4-2) gave up just one run on four hits while fanning eight to earn his first win since June 6.
"His stuff seemed normal. He wasn't overpowering, it just seemed like he was on the corners all night and he was able to change speeds," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Greinke.
Adrian Gonzalez and Hanley Ramirez each cracked solo homers and Skip Schumaker had two hits and drove in a pair of runs for the Dodgers, who won for just the second time in six games.
Jesus Guzman drove in the lone run for the Padres with a pinch-hit double in the eighth.
Edinson Volquez (5-6) gave up five runs -- two earned -- on two hits and seven walks while striking out seven over 5 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"He pitched so well with the fastball coming in. He had a few walks before, but it looked as though his fastball was just missing. He just couldn't land a strike in there," Padres manager Bud Black said of Volquez.
The Dodgers got on the board in the fifth inning before recording their first hit. After Volquez walked three consecutive batters to load the bases, Schumaker grounded into a force out to second base, but it was enough to score Juan Uribe.
Gonzalez led off the sixth with a homer to break up Volquez's no-hit bid. With two on and two outs later in the inning, A.J. Ellis ripped a grounder to Pedro Ciriaco, who couldn't handle the ball at short, allowing both runs to score. Schumaker singled Ellis home later in the frame to make it 5-0.
Ramirez's leadoff homer in the seventh made it a six-run game.
The Padres finally got on the board in the eighth inning. Yasmani Grandal doubled then scored as Guzman ripped a two-bagger to right field.
Seventy-five of Greinke's 111 pitches were strikes ... Ramirez has 10 hits over his last 18 at-bats ... The Dodgers are just 10-23 against the NL West this season ... Volquez had walked just six batters over his last three starts entering the game ... The Padres fell to 24-15 at home this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
SAN DIEGO: 1
Jun 22 10:17 PM
- Jesus Guzman double to right scored Yasmani Grandal with none out. Runner on second and Pedro Ciriaco due up.
Dodgers 6, Padres 1 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 22 9:51 PM
- Hanley Ramirez lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 6, Padres 0 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 22 9:28 PM
- Skip Schumaker single to center scored A.J. Ellis with two out. On the play, Zack Greinke advances to third on Yasmani Grandal's missed catch error. Runners on first and third and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 5, Padres 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 22 9:16 PM
- Pedro Ciriaco's fielding error scored Andre Ethier and Mark Ellis with two out. A.J. Ellis reached first. Runner on first and Zack Greinke due up.
Dodgers 4, Padres 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 22 9:08 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (9) to center. Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 22 8:56 PM
- Skip Schumaker's fielder's choice second to short scored Juan Uribe with two out. Zack Greinke out at second. A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 22 8:43 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 7:17 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21