Rangers finish sweep of Cardinals in rainy St. LouisJun 24, 2013 - 6:29 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - The Texas Rangers withered the storm in St. Louis and did just enough damage to Adam Wainwright to take a 2-1 victory and hand the Cardinals their first series sweep of the season.
Wainwright (10-5) was handed an unlucky loss despite limiting Texas to six hits over 6 2/3 frames. He was charged with two runs, but only one earned.
A costly error on St. Louis shortstop Pete Kozma in the seventh put the go- ahead run in scoring position and Ian Kinsler's ensuing base hit gave Texas the lead for good in this series finale which saw a three-hour rain delay.
Leonys Martin drove in the tying run earlier in the seventh off Wainwright, who was aiming to become the National League's first 11-game winner.
Nick Tepesch turned in 5 2/3 frames of one-run ball on four hits for the red hot Rangers, who have won five straight and six of seven overall. Robbie Ross (4-1) recorded the last out of the sixth to pick up the win.
Matt Carpenter had two hits and accounted for the Cardinals' only offense with a solo home run.
Kozma lined into a game-ending double-play against Joe Nathan, who earned his 25th save. St. Louis lost just its second series at home this season.
Tepesch had allowed at least five runs in each of his last three starts coming in, but worked through the first four innings Sunday without giving up a hit.
He began to unwind in the sixth, however, when the Cardinals began their third trip through the lineup. Carpenter took him deep into the bullpen in right to give the Cards a 1-0 lead, and was yanked after two more batters reached base.
Ross entered from the bullpen and kept it a one-run game by getting David Freese to ground out to end the threat.
Wainwright got two quick outs in the seventh, but couldn't get through the inning. He served up a double to David Murphy and was then lifted after Martin ripped a shot back up the middle to tie the score at 1-1.
Trevor Rosenthal took the hill and got pinch-hitter Jurickson Profar to hit a weak line drive to short, but Kozma dropped it and the error put runners on first and second. Kinsler then plated Martin with a liner to left for a 2-1 lead.
Nathan gave up one-out singles to Matt Adams and Jon Jay in the ninth. Kozma looked to redeem himself when he put a solid rip on the ball, but Texas third baseman Adrian Beltre nabbed it and doubled off pinch runner Shane Robinson at second base to end the game.
Wainwright had a streak of six straight outings with at least seven innings pitched come to an end ... The Cardinals have dropped four of their last five overall. Their only other home series loss this season came against the Pittsburgh Pirates from April 26-28 ... Its just the Cardinals' second three- game losing streak of the season ... Martin extended his hitting streak to nine games.
- TEXAS: 2
ST. LOUIS: 1
Jun 24 2:09 AM
- Ian Kinsler singled to left scored Leonys Martin. On the play, Jurickson Profar advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 2, Cardinals 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 24 1:16 AM
- Leonys Martin singled to center scored David Murphy. Runner on first with two outs and Robbie Ross due up.
Rangers 1, Cardinals 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 24 1:09 AM
- Matt Carpenter lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Carlos Beltran due up.
Rangers 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 24 12:40 AM
- TEXAS: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 11:05 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21