Weeks powers Brewers over CubsJun 26, 2013 - 4:22 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Rickie Weeks went 3-for-4 with a pair of home runs, four RBI and three runs scored to lead the Milwaukee Brewers to a 9-3 win over the Chicago Cubs in the opener of a three-game set at Miller Park.
Juan Francisco also homered and scored three times, while Jonathan Lucroy drove in a pair of runs and Jean Segura had an RBI double for the Brewers, winners in three of their last four games.
Kyle Lohse (3-6) was charged with three runs on eight hits over seven innings to earn the win. He struck out three without issuing a walk to win his second consecutive decision.
Nate Schierholtz went 2-for-4 with a three-run homer for the Cubs, who have dropped six of their last nine tilts.
Edwin Jackson (3-10) gave up six runs on six hits and two walks over 4 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"We just can't control some innings when they start going bad. From the beginning, Jackson didn't have much of a fastball. Its tough to pitch when you have that kind of velocity," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said.
Francisco smacked his towering solo shot to right in the third to put the Brewers on top 1-0.
The Cubs, though, took the lead in the third on Schierholtz's three-run blast to right. Jackson singled, and after a Luis Valbuena fly out, Darwin Barney smacked a base hit to right to put two on for Schierholtz, who cracked a 2-1 sinker over the wall in right to put Chicago on top 3-1.
"He just got one pitch. I made a pretty good pitch, it just came back over the middle," Lohse said.
Milwaukee took the lead for good with a five-run fifth inning. Francisco drew a leadoff walk then scored on Weeks' double to left field before coming around on Caleb Gindl's single to center.
After Lohse's sacrifice bunt, Norichika Aoki walked to put two on with two outs. Segura then roped a double to right field to plate Gindl. Lucroy followed with a two-run single to left field to cap the inning.
Weeks smacked a two-run shot to right-center in the sixth and solo blast to center in the eighth.
Weeks has hit safely in nine straight games ... Lohse hasn't lost since May 30 ... Following the game, Milwaukee placed pitcher Alfredo Figaro in the 15-day disabled list with an oblique strain ... Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro had his first day off in 269 consecutive games. His streak was the longest in the National League. Detroit's Prince Fielder holds the longest active streak in the majors at 419 games ... Jackson has dropped five of his last seven starts ... Chicago was just 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- CHICAGO: 3
Jun 25 10:59 PM
- Rickie Weeks one-out, solo Home Run 2 (8) to center. Logan Schafer due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 9 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 25 10:45 PM
- Rickie Weeks none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right center scored Juan Francisco. Logan Schafer due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 8 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 25 10:13 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to left scoring Norichika Aoki and Jean Segura with two out. Runner on first and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:55 PM
- Jean Segura doubled to right scoring Caleb Gindl with two out. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 25 9:51 PM
- Caleb Gindl singled to center scoring Rickie Weeks with one out. Runner on first and Kyle Lohse due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 25 9:40 PM
- Rickie Weeks doubled to left scoring Juan Francisco with none out. Runner on second and Logan Schafer due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 25 9:37 PM
- Nate Schierholtz one-out, three-run Home Run (11) to right scored Edwin Jackson and Darwin Barney. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 25 8:53 PM
- Juan Francisco one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Rickie Weeks due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 25 8:39 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21