Nationals edge D'backsJun 27, 2013 - 5:22 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Jordan Zimmermann pitched seven solid innings and the Washington Nationals defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks, 3-2, in the second test of a three-game set.
Zimmermann (11-3) allowed two runs on three hits and two walks in his outing. He has not picked up a loss at Nationals Park since May 17, 2012, against the Pirates. Since that loss, he is 17-3 in 25 home starts. His 11 wins also tie Max Scherzer for most in the majors.
"These guys have been giving me great run support all year. I'm pitching pretty well too, so I am happy," Zimmermann said.
Tyler Moore had a home run while Ryan Zimmerman went 2-for-3 with an RBI for the Nationals.
Paul Goldschmidt and Martin Prado drove in one run apiece for the Diamondbacks, who have lost three straight.
Arizona starter Wade Miley (4-7) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and a walk over seven frames.
"You have to give those guys credit. We're facing really good pitching. Our guys are battling and we're doing what we can. We just have to keep grinding," Miley said.
The Diamondbacks struck for two runs in the first. Aaron Hill drew a one-out walk and scored on a Paul Goldschmidt double to right. Two batters later, Prado smacked an RBI single to right.
Zimmerman responded in the home half with a double to left, plating Anthony Rendon.
With two outs in the fourth, Moore crushed a 3-2 fastball to center, tying the game at 2-2.
An inning later, Denard Span hit a leadoff single and advanced to second on a passed ball. After Rendon singled to center, Zimmerman grounded into a 6-4-3 double play, but brought Span home to give the Nationals the lead for good.
Rafael Soriano pitched in the ninth for the Nationals. He gave up a one-out single to Miguel Montero and intentionally walked Jason Kubel with two outs, but got A.J. Pollock to pop out to notch his 21st save.
Rendon went 3-for-4. Since being recalled by the Nationals on June 4, he is hitting .392 ... Goldschmidt has 44 RBI on the road, most in the National League ... Arizona's Patrick Corbin will start against Washington's Stephen Strasburg in Thursday's series finale.
- ARIZONA: 2
Jun 26 9:29 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman grounded into a double play, third to second to first scored Denard Span. On the play, Anthony Rendon out at second. None on with two outs and Jayson Werth due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Nationals 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 26 8:27 PM
- Tyler Moore two-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Nationals 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 26 8:10 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman double to left scored Anthony Rendon. Runner on second with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Nationals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 26 7:26 PM
- Martin Prado single to right scored Paul Goldschmidt. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Nationals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 26 7:19 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to right scored Aaron Hill. Runner on second with one out and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 26 7:14 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 7:06 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21