Phillies break out bats in LA routJun 29, 2013 - 5:56 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Delmon Young had a career-high six RBI, threw a runner out at the plate, and the Philadelphia Phillies pounded out a season-high 21 hits to rout the Dodgers, 16-1, to snap Los Angeles' six-game winning streak.
Michael Young, who grew up in Covina, Calif., about 20 miles from Dodger Stadium, went 4-for-6 with a homer, two RBI and three runs scored, as the Phillies bounced back from a 6-4 loss in the opener of this four-game series.
"We had a real good night. We definitely needed a game like that," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said.
John Lannan (1-2) got his first win as a member of the Phillies and had the first three-hit game of his career. He allowed five hits and a run over seven innings. The left-hander, who has an active five-game winning streak against the Dodgers, has allowed three earned runs or less in 14 of his last 15 road starts.
"It was good to go out there with that much support," Lannan said. "Those three knocks weren't bad either. I attacked the strike zone. To see that offense was great for the team."
Chris Capuano (2-5) was tagged for 10 hits and seven runs -- five earned -- over 3 2/3 innings. Peter Moylan wasn't much better, as he was knocked around for five hits and as many runs in two frames.
"From the very beginning they had Chris' number. Nothing went right tonight," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "It was a tough game."
The Phillies scored three times in each of the first two innings. Domonic Brown's fielder's choice plated the first run. Delmon Young and Ben Revere had RBI singles later in the opening frame.
Jimmy Rollins hit an RBI single in the second, and Delmon Young tacked on a two-run double to the gap in right-center for a 6-0 cushion.
Michael Young led off the fourth with a homer to left field. Delmon Young's consecutive at-bats streak with a hit was broken at seven when he flied out to center to end the inning.
Lannan singled in Carlos Ruiz in the fifth, and the visitors added four more in the sixth for a 12-0 cushion. John Mayberry joined the hit parade with a two-run homer to highlight the inning. Earlier in the frame, Michael Young slid home safely on Brown's single to right. Yasiel Puig made a great throw home, but Young beat the sweep tag try by Tim Federowicz.
Pinch-hitter Scott Van Slyke doubled in Puig in the bottom of the sixth. Delmon Young, though, made the defensive play of the night to end the inning. Hanley Ramirez singled to right field and Van Slyke tried to score. The throw home never touched the ground and Ruiz applied the tag.
John McDonald, who was acquired by the Phillies from Cleveland on Thursday, had a pinch-hit RBI infield single in the seventh inning. The hit in McDonald's first at-bat with his new team, scored Lannan, who singled with one out.
After Brown walked to fill the bases, Delmon Young singled to center for a 15-1 margin.
Ruiz scored on Michael Young's groundout in the eighth.
This is the first time the Dodgers have allowed 16 runs at home since July 29, 1987 in a 16-2 loss to the Giants ... Phillies second baseman Chase Utley had a pair of hits and scored three times ... Dodgers second baseman Skip Schumaker pitched the final inning and was able to escape a bases-loaded jam by striking out pinch-hitter Humberto Quintero ... Due to the Dodgers throwing lefties the middle two games of this series, the Phillies are sitting first baseman Ryan Howard, who is in an 0-for-16 slump ... Before the game, the Dodgers activated Van Slyke from the 15-day disabled list and designated infielder Luis Cruz for assignment ... It's the first time a Phillies pitcher has picked up three hits in a game since 2007 when J.D. Durbin did it July 17 at Dodger Stadium.
- Juan Uribe struck out looking to end the game.
Jun 29 1:23 AM
- Michael Young groundout to first scored Carlos Ruiz with two out. None on with two outs and Kevin Frandsen due up.
Phillies 16, Dodgers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 29 12:46 AM
- Delmon Young single to center scored Kevin Frandsen and John McDonald with two out. On the play, Domonic Brown advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and John Mayberry due up.
Phillies 15, Dodgers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 29 12:25 AM
- Pinch-Hitter John McDonald infield single to third scored John Lannan with two out. On the play, Kevin Frandsen advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Domonic Brown due up.
Phillies 13, Dodgers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 29 12:22 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Scott Van Slyke double to left center scored Yasiel Puig with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Phillies 12, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 29 12:11 AM
- John Mayberry two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Delmon Young. Ben Revere due up.
Phillies 12, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 28 11:58 PM
- Delmon Young fielder's choice to short scored Chase Utley with two out. Domonic Brown out at second. Runner on first with two outs and John Mayberry due up.
Phillies 10, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 28 11:56 PM
- Domonic Brown single to right scored Michael Young with one out. On the play, Chase Utley advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Delmon Young due up.
Phillies 9, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 1 OutJun 28 11:55 PM
- John Lannan single to left scored Carlos Ruiz with two out, on the play John Lannan was thrown out at second to end the inning.
Phillies 8, Dodgers 0 Mid 5Jun 28 11:38 PM
- Michael Young lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Chase Utley due up.
Phillies 7, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 28 11:16 PM
- Delmon Young double to right center scored Jimmy Rollins and Domonic Brown with two out. Runner on second with two outs and John Mayberry due up.
Phillies 6, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 28 10:46 PM
- Jimmy Rollins single to right scored Chase Utley with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Domonic Brown due up.
Phillies 4, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 28 10:44 PM
- Ben Revere single to left scored Domonic Brown with two out. On the play, John Mayberry advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Carlos Ruiz due up.
Phillies 3, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 28 10:26 PM
- Delmon Young single to left scored Chase Utley with one out. On the play, Domonic Brown advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and John Mayberry due up.
Phillies 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 28 10:21 PM
- Domonic Brown fielder's choice to first scored Michael Young with one out. Jimmy Rollins out at second Chase Utley advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Delmon Young due up.
Phillies 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 28 10:18 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22