Rockies beat Giants; Cuddyer's streak up to 25 gamesJun 29, 2013 - 5:21 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Michael Cuddyer extended his club-record hitting streak to 25 games with a two-run home run to help the Colorado Rockies take a 4-1 win over the San Francisco Giants in the opener of a three-game set.
Cuddyer, who has also reached base in a club-record 43 straight games, hit his two-run shot in the third inning while Wilin Rosario followed with a solo shot for the Rockies, who had dropped their past three games.
Jhoulys Chacin (7-3) finished the game giving up three hits with three walks and three strikeouts over eight innings to win his fourth straight start.
"That's as good as it gets right there from Jhoulys," said Colorado manager Walt Weiss. "He was efficient, two-seamer and slider were real good. To hold that club scoreless for eight innings is very impressive."
Barry Zito (4-6) dropped his third straight decision as he was touched for four runs on 10 hits with a pair of walks and three strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings for the Giants, who tied a season-high with their fifth straight loss.
"We got so many guys right now who are trying to get on track," said San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy. "It's not because of effort and that's why I think alot of them are just pressing up there because they're not having any success."
The Rockies took the lead in the first as DJ LeMahieu singled to start the inning and later scored on a double from Carlos Gonzalez.
In the third, Jordan Pacheco reached base with a leadoff single and Cuddyer slammed a pitch over the wall in right to extend his hitting streak with his 14th homer of the season. Rosario followed with his 13th homer of the year for a 4-0 lead.
Chacin got into a jam in the fourth as he allowed a one-out double to Buster Posey then walked Pablo Sandoval, but worked out of it by getting Hunter Pence to look at strike three then induced a groundout from Brandon Belt.
He then set the Giants down in order in the fifth and sixth, but Belt doubled with two outs in the seventh and Andres Torres walked. Chacin, though, kept the Giants off the board by getting Brandon Crawford to ground out.
Chacin worked a 1-2-3 eighth to finish his outing, and Rex Brothers gave up a leadoff homer to Posey in the ninth. Pence then reached base on a wild pitch strikeout, and Torres later walked, but Crawford grounded out to end the game.
San Francisco still leads the season series, 6-5 ... The Giants went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left seven on base. The Rockies were 2- for-13 with RISP and stranded 12 ... Zito fell to 8-4 in 23 career games against the Rockies ... Chacin moved to 4-5 in 12 games against the Giants.
- Brandon Crawford grounded out second to first to end the game.
Jun 28 11:29 PM
- Buster Posey lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 4 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 28 11:17 PM
- Wilin Rosario one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Nolan Arenado due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 28 9:36 PM
- Michael Cuddyer one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right scored Jordan Pacheco. Wilin Rosario due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 28 9:35 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez double to center scored DJ LeMahieu with one out. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 28 8:57 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21