Rockies beat Giants in 9th; Cuddyer still streakingJun 30, 2013 - 3:38 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Nolan Arenado's RBI single with two outs in the ninth inning led the Colorado Rockies to a 2-1 win over the San Francisco Giants in the second of three from Coors Field.
With Jeremy Affeldt (1-4) on the mound, Todd Helton drew a two-out walk and was replaced by pinch-runner Josh Rutledge, who promptly stole second. Arenado then punched a 2-2 pitch into center field and Rutledge easily scored for the win.
"I was just trying to look for something that was up because he works well when he gets the ball down low," said Arenado. "I was just looking for something up and he hung one and luckily I got a hold of it."
Michael Cuddyer extended his team-record hitting streak to 26 games with an RBI single in the first inning for the Rockies, who have taken the first two games of this set. He has also reached base safely in a franchise-best 45 consecutive games.
Jorge De La Rosa pitched six solid innings in the start, giving up one run on six hits with a walk and four strikeouts. Rafael Betancourt (2-3) got the win after throwing a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Buster Posey drove in the only run of the game for the Giants, who have dropped a season-high six straight games. Matt Cain tossed eight strong innings as he gave up just one run on three hits with a walk and five strikeouts.
"We're in a funk right now and we're the only ones who can get ourselves out of it, that's all there is to that," said Cain.
The Rockies got on board in their first at-bat as Corey Dickerson doubled to start the frame, moved to third on DJ LeMahieu's sac bunt and later scored when Cuddyer singled through the middle.
The Giants left a man on third in the first inning and didn't threaten again until they tied the game in the sixth.
With one out, Andres Torres singled, but was then picked off at first. Marco Scutaro followed with an infield single and came all the way home on Posey's double to left.
It's San Fran's first six-game losing streak since dropping seven straight from June 26-July 2, 2010 ... Posey, who went 2-for-4 in the game, has reached base safely in 47 straight games against Colorado and is 71-for-171 during that run ... Cuddyer was batting .321 when the streak began and is now hitting .346 ... The Giants went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left six on base ... Each team has won six games in the season series.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Jun 29 7:01 PM
- Nolan Arenado single to center scored Josh Rutledge with two out to end the game.
Giants 1, Rockies 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 29 6:56 PM
- Buster Posey double to left scored Marco Scutaro with two out. Runner on second and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 29 5:46 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to center scored Corey Dickerson with two out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 29 4:30 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21