Mathis' milestone slam sends Marlins over PadresJul 1, 2013 - 3:51 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Jeff Mathis' grand slam with one down in the bottom of the ninth inning, the 3,000th home run in franchise history, sent Miami past San Diego, 6-2, in the third edition of a four-game set.
Tyson Ross (0-4) walked Logan Morrison and served up a single to Marcell Ozuna before retiring Derek Dietrich on a fly out. Pinch-hitter Greg Dobbs was intentionally walked to load the bases, and, despite a five-man infield for the Padres, Mathis launched his game winner to left.
"Any time you are celebrating with your team on the field, no matter what it is, it's a good feeling," Mathis said of his walk-off grand slam.
It made a winner of Steve Cishek (2-4), who turned in a scoreless top of the ninth.
Dietrich drove in two runs, while Morrison and Ozuna each finished with two hits and two runs scored for the Marlins, winners in two of three in the series and seven of nine overall.
Carlos Quentin hit a two-run homer for the Padres, losers in six of eight.
The Marlins snapped the scoreless deadlock in the fourth, picking up a pair of two out runs on Dietrich's double. Morrison and Giancarlo Stanton, who singled after Padres starter Andrew Cashner retired the first two batters he faced, came in on the hit.
San Diego equalized in the seventh, as Yasmani Grandal walked with one out and Quentin launched a pinch-hit two-run shot to left center.
"We got the big hit from (Quentin) to tie it up there in the seventh," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Mathis' second career grand slam also raised his average to .129 ... Marlins starter Nathan Eovaldi tossed six scoreless innings, allowing four hits and three walks ... Cashner also worked six innings, allowing five hits and two runs ... Black celebrated his 57th birthday on Sunday, but suffered his first defeat on this special day as San Diego skipper (5-1).
- SAN DIEGO: 2
Jun 30 3:44 PM
- Jeff Mathis one-out, Grand Slam (2) to left scored Logan Morrison, Marcell Ozuna and Greg Dobbs to end the game.
Padres 2, Marlins 6 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 30 3:41 PM
- Pinch-hitter Carlos Quentin one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left-center scored Yasmani Grandal. Logan Forsythe is due up.
Padres 2, Marlins 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 30 2:51 PM
- Derek Dietrich doubled to left-center scoring Logan Morrison and Marcell Ozuna. Runner on second with two outs and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Padres 0, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 30 2:15 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22