Giants get 15 hits, but lose to RedsJul 25, 2013 - 6:19 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips both went 2-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored to lead the Cincinnati Reds to an 8-3 win over the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday.
Devin Mesoraco added two hits and a pair of RBI and Jay Bruce had a pair of hits and an RBI for the Reds, who have gone 5-2 since the All-Star break.
Mike Leake (10-4) gave up one run on 12 hits over six-plus innings to pick up the win.
"It wasn't a real pretty game, but we won. It was nice to come out here and win three out of four going into LA," said Reds manager Dusty Baker.
Hunter Pence went 5-for-5 with an RBI and Pablo Sandoval had two hits and drove in a pair of runs for the Giants, who have dropped four of their last five games.
"Disappointing tonight. We squandered too many chances tonight. It doesn't matter how many hits you get, it is when you get them," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
San Francisco out-hit the Reds 15-13, but left 15 runners on base.
Chad Gaudin (4-2) was tagged for six runs on seven hits and five walks over 3 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
The Reds scored a run in the first inning. Shin-Soo Choo doubled, moved to third on Xavier Paul's groundout then scored on Votto's sacrifice fly to center field.
Cincinnati tacked on three more in the third. With Votto on first and two outs, Phillips lifted a line drive to right-center field. The ball got past both outfielders and Votto came all the way around to score. Bruce followed with an RBI double, and after Todd Frazier walked, Mesoraco singled to center to score Bruce.
Pence's RBI single in the home half made it 4-1.
The Reds added two runs in both the fourth and sixth innings. With the bases loaded in the fourth, Votto ripped a grounder to third, but it was enough to score Leake. Phillips followed with a sacrifice fly to center to plate Choo.
Votto opened the sixth with a triple to right then scored on Phillips' base hit. Mesoraco scored Phillips three batters to make it 8-1.
With two on and one out in the eighth, Sandoval laced a double to left field to score Tony Abreu and Marco Scutaro to pull the Giants within 8-3.
Leake has won three straight starts and eight of his last 10 decisions ... The Reds have won eight of their last 10 games versus the Giants ... Frazier has a seven-game hitting streak ... The Reds were 4-for-14 with runners in scoring position ... 14 of the Giants' 15 hits were singles ... The Giants went 4-for-16 with RISP.
- CINCINNATI: 8
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jul 25 1:52 AM
- Pablo Sandoval doubled to left scoring Tony Abreu and Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on second and Hunter Pence due up.
Reds 8, Giants 3 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 25 1:30 AM
- Devin Mesoraco singled to left scoring Brandon Phillips with two out. Runner on first and Cesar Izturis due up.
Reds 8, Giants 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 25 12:36 AM
- Brandon Phillips singled to right scoring Joey Votto with none out. Runner on first and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 7, Giants 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 25 12:27 AM
- Brandon Phillips sacrifice fly to center scored Shin-Soo Choo with two out. Runner on first and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 6, Giants 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 24 11:42 PM
- Joey Votto grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second, scoring Mike Leake with one out. Xavier Paul out at second. Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 5, Giants 1 Top 4, 1 OutJul 24 11:42 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to right scoring Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Belt due up.
Reds 4, Giants 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 24 11:29 PM
- Devin Mesoraco singled to center scoring Jay Bruce with two out. On the play, Todd Frazier advances to second. Runners on first and second and Cesar Izturis due up.
Reds 4, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 24 11:15 PM
- Jay Bruce doubled to right scoring Brandon Phillips with two out. Runner on second and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 3, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 24 11:10 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to center. On the play, Joey Votto scored on Gregor Blanco's fielding error with two out. Brandon Phillips advanced to second. Runner on second with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 2, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 24 11:09 PM
- Joey Votto sacrifice fly to center scored Shin-Soo Choo with two out. None on and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 24 10:21 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 10:16 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21