Brewers edge GiantsAug 7, 2013 - 7:01 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Carlos Gomez's solo shot helped lift the Milwaukee Brewers over the San Francisco Giants, 3-1, in the second contest of a four-game set.
Norichika Aoki crossed the plate twice and had two hits, which included a double, for the Brewers who have five wins in their last nine.
Wily Peralta (8-11) picked up his first win in four games. The right-hander spun 6 1/3 innings and gave up one run and five hits while striking out six batters.
Brandon Crawford went 2-for-4 for San Francisco, which has have lost eight of its last 12 games.
The Giants went with Matt Cain (7-7), who lasted seven innings. He allowed two runs on four hits with six strikeouts. The right-hander received his first loss since prior to the All-Star break, July 10 against the Mets.
Gomez hit the only home run of the game to left field with one out in the second inning.
The Brewers added to their lead in the fourth. Aoki doubled on a line drive to left and advanced to third after Jean Segura grounded out. A throwing error from Giants catcher Buster Posey allowed Aoki to score. Posey's throw on a pickoff attempt sailed past Pablo Sandoval at third and into left field.
Giants broke the shutout in the seventh. Roger Kieschnick followed a Brandon Belt double with a ground single off of Peralta. Belt moved over to third on the play. Kieschnick took second base after Gregor Blanco grounded out. Joaquin Arias, pinch-hitting for Cain, sharply grounded out, allowing Belt to cross home plate to account for the Giants' only run. Marco Scutaro flied out to right to end the inning.
The Giants stranded another runner at third in the eighth inning. Crawford hit a leadoff double high off the brick wall in right field and moved over to third after Hunter Pence lined out to right. Posey grounded out and Jim Henderson got Sandoval to pop out to end the inning.
Jonathan Lucroy hit a sac fly to right to score Aoki from third in the final frame.
Henderson pitched 1 1/3 innings for the Brewers with no hits and two strikeouts to earn his 16th save of the season.
"I want to prove that I can do that though," said Henderson about pitching more than an inning. "Help the team anyway I can, if it's four outs, five outs or six outs. It was a goal in the offseason for me to come in and be able to do something like that."
The Giants have not hit a home run at home in ten games, a span of 92 innings going back to July 20 ... All-Star teammates Segura (31) and Gomez (29) have combined for 60 stolen bases this season which is the most in the majors ... Pence's streak of reaching base safely was stopped at 17 games.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Aug 7 1:07 AM
- Jonathan Lucroy sacrifice fly to right scored Norichika Aoki with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 3, Giants 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 7 12:53 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Joaquin Arias grounded out second to first scoring Brandon Belt with two out. On the play, Roger Kieschnick advances to third. Runner on third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Brewers 2, Giants 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 7 12:19 AM
- With Jonathan Lucroy batting, Norichika Aoki scored on Buster Posey's throwing error with one out. None on and Jonathan Lucroy at the plate.
Brewers 2, Giants 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 6 11:08 PM
- Carlos Gomez one-out, solo Home Run (18) to left center. Caleb Gindl due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 6 10:31 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 10:15 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21