Big 8th inning lifts Brewers past GiantsAug 8, 2013 - 5:45 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Norichika Aoki capped a four-run eighth with a two-run single and the Milwaukee Brewers took advantage of a sloppy inning from the Giants to win, 6-1, in the third installment of a four-game series.
It could be a costly victory for the Brewers. Second baseman Rickie Weeks grabbed his left hamstring while grounding out in the eighth inning and was helped off the field. Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Weeks suffered a strained hamstring and it's possible he could go on the disabled list.
Khris Davis homered and pinch-hitter Martin Maldonado singled in a run in the ninth, but the big play came in the eighth on Madison Bumgarner's error.
Davis singled and Yuniesky Betancourt doubled to put two runners in scoring position. Jeff Bianchi legged out an infield hit for a run when shortstop Brandon Crawford double-clutched before making a throw on a routine play.
Pinch-hitter Logan Schafer bunted, but Bumgarner's low throw to third base deflected off the glove of Pablo Sandoval and went through his legs into foul territory. Betancourt scampered home and Bianchi went to third. After Weeks grounded out, Santiago Casilla gave up Aoki's two-run hit to center for a 4-1 margin.
Marco Estrada, who was activated off the disabled list, allowed one hit over the first five innings for the Brewers. Bumgarner (11-7) gave up five hits and four runs in seven-plus frames.
The Giants had only three hits and lost for the fourth time in five games. They gained a 1-0 lead in the seventh, but should have had more runs if not for Davis' scintillating catch in left.
"We played really good defensively. Timely hitting, we got some breaks. Those are good wins for us because it doesn't happen very often," Roenicke said.
Crawford walked and Brandon Belt singled. The runners moved up on a wild pitch before one run scored on Buster Posey's sacrifice liner which Davis made a diving catch to prevent a second run from scoring.
"That was a game-changer. We still got a run out of it. That hurt us probably as much as anything too. It was a different ball game," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Davis homered to left off Barry Zito with one out in the ninth, and Maldonado's hit to right plated Bianchi.
Alfredo Figaro (2-3) threw two innings to get the win.
There was more great defense by the Brewers, specifically from center fielder Carlos Gomez. He robbed Posey of a hit by crashing into the wall in left- center in the first, then made a leaping grab in the fifth to take a hit away from Sandoval.
The Brewers opened a spot for Estrada by optioning second baseman Scooter Gennett to Triple-A Nashville ... Bumgarner had a nine-start streak broken in which he allowed two earned runs or fewer ... The Giants have gone 11 consecutive home games without hitting a home run.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Aug 8 1:02 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Martin Maldonado single to right scored Jeff Bianchi with two out. On the play, Juan Francisco advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 6, Giants 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 8 12:53 AM
- Khris Davis one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 5, Giants 1 Top 9, 1 OutAug 8 12:47 AM
- Norichika Aoki single to center scored Jeff Bianchi and Logan Schafer with one out. Runner on first and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 4, Giants 1 Top 8, 1 OutAug 8 12:31 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Logan Schafer reached first and advanced to second on a bunt fielder's choice attempt at third. On the play, Jeff Bianchi advanced to third as Yuniesky Betancourt scored on Madison Bumgarner's throwing error with none out. Runners on second and third and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 2, Giants 1 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 8 12:28 AM
- Jeff Bianchi single to short scored Khris Davis with none out. Runners on first and second and Alfredo Figaro due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 1 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 8 12:21 AM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly out to left scored Brandon Crawford with one out. On the play, Brandon Belt advanced to third. Runner on third and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Brewers 0, Giants 1 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 8 12:09 AM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 10:16 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21