Orioles take down Giants in extrasAug 10, 2013 - 7:16 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Davis stroked a two-run double in the 10th inning to boost the Baltimore Orioles to a 5-2 win over the San Francisco Giants.
Chris Tillman was in line for his 15th win of the season, but Jim Johnson (3-7) couldn't nail down his 40th save as he allowed the tying run in the ninth inning - a Hunter Pence single.
With Javier Lopez (1-2) pitching to start the 10th, Manny Machado doubled off the glove of shortstop Brandon Crawford. Adam Jones was intentionally walked with two outs before Davis cranked a high fly ball to right-center that rolled to the wall. Matt Wieters followed with an RBI single up the middle.
"I'm just looking for a pitch over the plate," Davis said. "That's a tough matchup. Lopez is definitely tough on left-handers."
Tommy Hunter retired the side in order for his third career save, all this year.
Tillman racked up a career-high nine strikeouts over eight innings. The righty gave up four hits, including a homer to Brandon Belt in the sixth inning.
Jones singled in a run in the first inning and J.J. Hardy led off the second with his 20th homer of the year, as the Orioles won their third in a row and sent the Giants to their fifth loss in seven games.
Machado doubled with one out in the game and he scored on a Jones base hit to center. Hardy, who homered to left, has three straight 20-homer seasons.
Tillman retired 14 straight batters until Belt homered to right-center field.
Belt singled and Buster Posey walked to start the ninth. Pence then bounced a hit up the middle. Davis made possibly a game-saving stop when he dove to corral Pablo Sandoval's grounder, which turned into a force play at second.
Roger Kieschnick struck out swinging before the Orioles gave Sandoval second base. Gregor Blanco, who came into the game mired in a 4-for-48 slump since the All-Star break, the lowest average in the majors in that span, lined out to second to send the game to the 10th.
Giants righty Ryan Vogelsong made his first start since he fractured his right hand on May 20 against Washington. Vogelsong allowed six hits over six innings.
"He pitched well," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "He got better as he went along and gave us six good innings. He did a great job. That's a nice effort."
Hardy became the third Oriole shortstop with three consecutive 20-plus homer seasons, joining Miguel Tejada (2004-06) and Cal Ripken Jr. (10 straight from 1982-91) ... Davis is hitting .477 (21-for-44) in interleague play this year with eight games left. He has a chance to become the second player ever to hit .500 or better in interleague play in a single season. Kansas City's Joe Randa batted .508 in 1999 ... The Orioles are 9-2 this year when playing in California ... The Giants, who fell to 3-9 in interleague games, went 1-for-7 with men in scoring position. They are 5-for-39 in those situations in the last five games ... With the move to activate Vogelsong off the 60-day DL, the Giants also optioned pitcher Jean Machi to Triple-A Fresno.
- BALTIMORE: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Aug 10 1:18 AM
- Matt Wieters singled to center scored Chris Davis. Runner on first with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 5, Giants 2 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 10 1:08 AM
- Chris Davis doubled to right center scored Manny Machado and Adam Jones. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 4, Giants 2 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 10 1:07 AM
- Hunter Pence singled to center scored Brandon Belt. On the play, Buster Posey advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Orioles 2, Giants 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 10 12:50 AM
- Brandon Belt two-out, solo Home Run (13) to right center. Buster Posey due up.
Orioles 2, Giants 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 10 12:08 AM
- J.J. Hardy lead-off Home Run (20) to left. Brian Roberts due up.
Orioles 2, Giants 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 9 10:40 PM
- Adam Jones singled to center scored Manny Machado. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 9 10:22 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 10:17 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21