Marlins beat Giants, avoid sweepAug 18, 2013 - 11:55 PM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Jeff Mathis doubled in the deciding run in the bottom of the eighth, as Miami got past San Francisco, 6-5, in the finale of a three-game set.
Mathis added a solo homer, while Ed Lucas, Adeiny Hechavarria and Donovan Solano each drove in a run for the Marlins, who avoided a sweep and won for the third time in their last five.
"We've been struggling to score runs all year and we score runs the last two days and we can't come out on top," Mathis said. "Today it was back and forth again and it was just nice to get that one."
Chad Qualls (4-1) tossed 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief and Steve Cishek followed suit in the ninth to earn his 27th save.
Hunter Pence slugged a two-run homer and Brandon Crawford added a solo blast for the Giants, whose three-game win streak ended.
Sandy Rosario (3-1) was charged with the winning run on three hits in his one inning on the mound.
Miami took a 6-5 lead in their last turn at the plate, as Ed Lucas started with a base hit and was able to cross home before Mathis was tagged out at third trying to stretch his RBI double.
Cishek yielded a long single with one out to Hector Sanchez, but he was erased on a game-ending double-play grounder from Buster Posey.
Pence's two-run shot to dead center gave the Giants the lead in the opening frame.
Mathis kicked off the home third with a shot to left which halved Miami's deficit, then RBI singles from Lucas and Hechavarria in the fourth put the Marlins ahead 3-2.
Pence's two-out single in the fifth plated Gregor Blanco to tie the game, but the hosts forged ahead in the home half when Giants starter Madison Bumgarner uncorked a wild pitch during a walk to Justin Ruggiano which allowed Solano to come in.
"It seemed like almost every pitch I threw was a hair off in the wrong direction," Bumgarner said. "I was just struggling making pitches today."
Crawford started the seventh with a homer, then after the next two batters went silently, Pablo Sandoval singled and Hector Sanchez roped a double down the left-field line which put San Francisco back on top, 5-4.
It was a 5-5 deadlock in the home half, as Christian Yelich worked a leadoff walk and scored when Solano followed with a double.
Marlins hurler Tom Koehler allowed seven hits and three runs with four walks and as many strikeouts over five-plus innings, while Bumgarner worked five full frames and surrendered four runs on five hits while walking four ...Coming into Sunday, Bumgarner has fashioned a 1.80 ERA in his past 11 starts since June 14, the third-lowest mark in the majors behind Clayton Kershaw and David Price ... Both teams are in action on Monday, as the Marlins host the Dodgers for four games and the Giants welcome the Red Sox for a three-game interleague set.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Aug 18 4:40 PM
- Jeff Mathis doubled to left scoring Ed Lucas with one out. On the play, Mathis out at third. None on with two outs and Chad Qualls due up.
Giants 5, Marlins 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 18 4:31 PM
- Donovan Solano doubled to left scoring Christian Yelich with none out. Runner on second and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Giants 5, Marlins 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 18 3:59 PM
- Hector Sanchez doubled to left scoring Pablo Sandoval with two out. Runner on second and Roger Kieschnick due up.
Giants 5, Marlins 4 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 18 3:44 PM
- Brandon Crawford lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 4, Marlins 4 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 18 3:33 PM
- Justin Ruggiano walked. On the play, Madison Bumgarner wild pitch scored Donovan Solano with two out. Logan Morrison advanced to third and Ruggiano to second. Runners on second and third with Ed Lucas due up.
Giants 3, Marlins 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 18 3:04 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to right scoring Gregor Blanco with two out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to second. Runners on first and second with Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 3, Marlins 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 2:45 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria singled to left scoring Ed Lucas with two out. Runner on first and Jeff Mathis due up.
Giants 2, Marlins 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 18 2:32 PM
- Ed Lucas singled to left scoring Giancarlo Stanton with one out. On the play, Justin Ruggiano advances to second. Runners on first and second with Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Giants 2, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 18 2:25 PM
- Jeff Mathis lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Tom Koehler due up.
Giants 2, Marlins 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 18 1:59 PM
- Hunter Pence two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to center scored Gregor Blanco. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 18 1:22 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21