Lester, Red Sox shut out GiantsAug 20, 2013 - 5:48 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Jon Lester was able to stop the bleeding for Boston with 8 1/3 scoreless frames and the Red Sox churned out a 7-0 win in Monday's three-game series opener with the San Francisco Giants.
With only three wins in their previous 10 games and the Tampa Bay Rays hot on their tail for the lead in the AL East, the Red Sox needed a strong performance and got it out of Lester (11-7), who limited Giants not named Andres Torres or Buster Posey to just one hit.
"Jon was exactly what we needed tonight," said Boston manager John Farrell.
Shane Victorino, Stephen Drew and Will Middlebrooks each supplied an RBI in support of Lester, with the trio leading the way in Boston's rattling of Tim Lincecum.
Over five-plus innings, Lincecum (6-13) was charged with five runs on nine hits and four walks. In the six starts since his no-hitter on July 13, Lincecum has a 5.40 ERA.
Torres had three hits and Posey had two for San Francisco, which has dropped two straight following a three-game winning streak.
"I do think we've had a tough year as far as travel goes. It has caught up with them at times. That pitcher out there makes you look flat because you're not doing anything offensively," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
The Sox loaded the bases to start the second and got on the board with Middlebrooks' sac fly. A balk by Lincecum allowed another run to come in and Boston held a 3-0 lead after a two-out RBI single from Victorino.
A two-out single by Daniel Nava in the fifth extended the inning, and Drew came through with a double into center that plated Nava and gave the Sox a four-run cushion.
Lincecum was relieved after Jacoby Ellsbury reached him for a single to start the fifth. Ellsbury eventually came around to score when reliever Guillermo Moscoso had a pitch get away from him and bounce to the backstop.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia had an RBI double in the ninth and later came in to score on Nava's base hit to make it 7-0.
Lester tried for his second complete game of the season, but served up a pair of one-out singles and was removed from the game. Brandon Workman notched the last two outs to preserve the win.
The Red Sox made a bevy of moves on Monday, most notably selecting the contract of highly touted shortstop prospect Xander Bogaerts from Triple-A Pawtucket. Bogaerts did not get into the game. The team also activated catcher David Ross from the 60-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Brayan Villarreal from Pawtucket. Catcher Ryan Lavarnway, infielder Brock Holt and pitcher Rubby De La Rosa were optioned to the Triple-A affiliate, while the Red Sox transferred pitchers Andrew Bailey and Clay Buchholz to the 60-day disabled list ... The Giants have lost 18 of their last 25 home games.
- BOSTON: 7
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Aug 20 1:17 AM
- Daniel Nava single to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Runner on first with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Red Sox 7, Giants 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 20 1:02 AM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia double to right scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on second with two outs and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 6, Giants 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 20 12:59 AM
- Guillermo Moscoso's wild pitch scored Jacoby Ellsbury. None on with two outs and David Ortiz at the plate.
Red Sox 5, Giants 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 20 12:02 AM
- Stephen Drew double to center scored Daniel Nava. Runner on second with two outs and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 4, Giants 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 19 11:39 PM
- Shane Victorino single to center scored Stephen Drew. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 3, Giants 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 19 10:46 PM
- Tim Lincecum's balk scored Daniel Nava. On the play, Stephen Drew advances to second on the balk. Runner on second with one out and Jon Lester at the plate.
Red Sox 2, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 19 10:38 PM
- Will Middlebrooks sacrifice fly to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. On the play, Daniel Nava advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jon Lester due up.
Red Sox 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 19 10:36 PM
- BOSTON: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 10:17 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21