Vogelsong, Giants blank PiratesAug 26, 2013 - 3:33 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Ryan Vogelsong pitched eight shutout innings to help the San Francisco Giants take a 4-0 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates to wrap up a four-game series.
Vogelsong (3-4) gave up just two hits and a walk with five strikeouts, while Sandy Rosario left a man on second in the ninth to complete the shutout for the Giants, who took the final two games of this set after dropping five of six.
"What a terrific job, that's one of the best pitched games we've had this year," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "He really commanded all of his pitches, had them all working, hitting his spots. It was fun to watch."
Pablo Sandoval hit a two-run triple, while Buster Posey and Joaquin Arias each drove in a run in the win.
A.J. Burnett (6-9) gave up four runs on eight hits in 7 1/3 innings for the Pirates, who remained tied with St. Louis for first place in the NL Central as the Cardinals lost to the Braves on Sunday.
The Giants got on the board in the third as Gregor Blanco walked with two outs, took third on a Brandon Crawford single and came home when Posey followed with a single for a 1-0 lead.
San Francisco put the game away in the eighth. Posey led off with a single and Hunter Pence later singled. Sandoval then chased home both runners with a triple and Arias' double scored Sandoval for a 4-0 lead.
Pittsburgh only got three runners to second base the entire game, and never had two men on base at the same time.
"He's pitched big games, he's won big games," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle referring to Vogelsong. "We weren't able to adjust or complicate things for him very much."
The Pirates still won the season series with the Giants, 4-3 ... The Giants play three in Colorado starting on Monday ... Pittsburgh hosts Milwaukee for three contests starting Tuesday ... Vogelsong improved to 2-3 in six games against the Pirates, who he played with from 2001-2006 ... Burnett fell to 6-3 in nine games against the Giants.
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Aug 25 6:49 PM
- Joaquin Arias double to left scored Pablo Sandoval with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 25 6:37 PM
- Pablo Sandoval triple to right scored Buster Posey and Hunter Pence with one out. Runner on third and Roger Kieschnick due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 25 6:32 PM
- Buster Posey single to right, deflected at second, scored Gregor Blanco with two out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Brandon Belt due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 25 4:59 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 4:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21