Petit earns win as Giants get by RockiesAug 28, 2013 - 7:17 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - In his first start in nearly a year, Yusmeiro Petit pitched six solid innings and the San Francisco Giants defeated the Colorado Rockies, 5-3, in the middle test of a three-game set.
Petit (1-0) gave up two runs on six hits and three walks to record his first win since August 27, 2009, when he was a member of the Diamondbacks. Since then, he's played in the Triple-A affiliates for the Mariners and Giants and in the Mexican League.
"He pounded the strike zone with all of his pitches and threw quality strikes," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "He's been around, knows what he's doing out there. He showed it tonight."
Hunter Pence launched a 476-foot two-run home run, the longest homer of the season in the majors. Pablo Sandoval hit a solo shot for the Giants. Marco Scutaro and Hector Sanchez also drove in a run apiece in the victory.
Charlie Blackmon, Wilin Rosario and DJ LeMahieu each had an RBI for the Rockies, who saw starter Chad Bettis (0-3) surrender four runs on nine hits and a walk over six frames.
"I think (Bettis) missed a couple pitches in the zone," Rockies catcher Wilin Rosario said, "and we can't execute the last pitch. Every hitter we got two strikes, and we couldn't execute the one pitch to make an out. I think that's why he got a little bit out of control, and we gave up three runs."
The Giants got on the board immediately in the first. After two straight groundouts, Brandon Belt singled to right center before Pence smashed a 1-1 pitch over the left field wall. Three pitches later, Sandoval homered to give them a 3-0 lead.
The Rockies got on the board in the third. Nolan Arenado hit a leadoff single to right and Charlie Blackmon following with an RBI double to center.
An inning later, Troy Tulowitzki singled to lead off and later scored on Wilin Rosario's single to right, cutting the deficit to 3-2.
However, San Francisco added a run apiece in the sixth and seventh. Belt singled to start the sixth. After a foul out by Pence and a single by Sandoval, Sanchez plated Belt with a single to right.
In the seventh, Gregor Blanco hit a leadoff triple and later scored on a sacrifice fly from Scutaro.
In the home half, pinch-hitter Jordan Pacheco walked and Corey Dickerson doubled to left before LeMahieu plated Pacheco on a ground out towards second.
Sergio Romo retired the side in the bottom of the ninth to notch his 32nd save.
Sandoval's last home run came on July 12 but he is batting .400 with 12 RBI in his last 14 games ... The Giants have won 15 of their last 18 games in which they have scored at least four runs and are 46-14 overall in such games ... The Rockies hit 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... San Francisco's Madison Bumgarner is scheduled to face Colorado's Jhoulys Chacin in Wednesday's series finale.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Aug 27 11:52 PM
- DJ LeMahieu ground out second to first scored Jordan Pacheco with one out. On the play, Corey Dickerson advances to third. Runner on third and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 3 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 27 11:06 PM
- Marco Scutaro sacrifice fly to right scored Gregor Blanco with one out. None on and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 2 Top 7, 1 OutAug 27 10:59 PM
- Hector Sanchez single to right scored Brandon Belt with one out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to third and Hector Sanchez advances to second. Runners on second and third and Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 27 10:31 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to right scored Troy Tulowitzki with two out. On the play, Todd Helton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nolan Arenado due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 27 9:56 PM
- Charlie Blackmon double to center scored Nolan Arenado witn none out. Runner on second and Chad Bettis due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 27 9:30 PM
- Pablo Sandoval two-out, solo Home Run (10) to left center. Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 27 8:47 PM
- Hunter Pence two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Brandon Belt. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 27 8:45 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21