Chacin, Rockies edge GiantsAug 29, 2013 - 6:06 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Jhoulys Chacin carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning as the Colorado Rockies edged the San Francisco Giants, 5-4, in the rubber match of a three-game set at Coors Field.
Chacin (13-7) gave up just one hit, a Brandon Crawford blooper to center with two outs in the seventh inning, while striking out nine to finish August with a 4-2 mark.
"We were going to let him chase a no-hitter as long as it took," Rockies manager Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "After he gave up the hit I didn't want to let him go after that."
Wilin Rosario went 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored and Yorvit Torrealba added a pair of RBI for the Rockies, winners in four of their last six games.
Rex Brothers spun a perfect ninth to notch his 14th save.
Brandon Belt went 1-for-2 with an RBI and two runs scored while Buster Posey and Hunter Pence finished with one RBI apiece for the Giants, losers in seven of their last 11 games.
"He mixed it up, we chased some pitches and just couldn't get anything going against him." Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of Chacin.
Madison Bumgarner (11-9) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on five hits while striking out six over 5 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
The Rockies rallied for four runs in the sixth for a 5-1 lead. DJ LeMahieu singled and Troy Tulowitzki walked to open the frame. After Michael Cuddyer struck out, Rosario dropped a bloop single into center to score LeMahieu.
After Nolan Arenado reached on a fielding error by Crawford, Torrealba stroked a ground-rule double to right center to score Tulowitzki and Rosario. The Giants intentionally walked Charlie Culberson to get to Chacin, but the pitcher made them pay with an RBI ground out.
San Francisco rallied for three runs in the eighth to pull within 5-4. With two on and one out, Belt smacked a ground-rule double to left field, plating Gregor Blanco. Posey then scored Marco Scutaro with a ground out to short before Pence brought Belt around with a single to left field.
Colorado jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second inning. Rosario singled then scored on Arenado's double to center field.
San Francisco knotted things up in the fourth due to sloppy fielding. Belt walked then moved to third on Tulowitzki's fielding error off a Posey grounder. Pence then grounded into a double play, but it was enough to score Belt.
The teams combined for five errors (Colorado three, San Francisco two) ... The Rockies went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position ... Chacin tied a season-high in strikeouts. He fanned nine on May 27 ... The Giants were 2-for-7 with RISP.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Aug 28 11:44 PM
- Hunter Pence single to left scored Brandon Belt with two out. Runner on first and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 5 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 28 11:26 PM
- Buster Posey grounded out short to first scoring Marco Scutaro with two out. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to third. Runner on third and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 5 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 28 11:23 PM
- Brandon Belt ground-rule double to left scored Gregor Blanco with one out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to third. Runners on second and third and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 5 Top 8, 1 OutAug 28 11:20 PM
- Jhoulys Chacin grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Nolan Arenado with two out. Charlie Culberson out at second. Yorvit Torrealba advances to third. Runners on first and third and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 28 10:50 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba ground-rule double to right scored Troy Tulowitzki and Wilin Rosario with one out. On the play, Nolan Arenado advances to third. Runners on second and third and Charlie Culberson due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 28 10:47 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to center scored DJ LeMahieu with one out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nolan Arenado due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 28 10:35 PM
- Hunter Pence grounded into a double play, second to short to first scoring Brandon Belt with two out. Buster Posey out at second. None on and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 28 9:49 PM
- Nolan Arenado double to center scored Wilin Rosario with none out. Runner on second and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 28 9:13 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21