Lincecum helps Giants shut out D-backsAug 31, 2013 - 6:17 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Tim Lincecum pitched six innings and the San Francisco Giants took a 1-0 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks to open a three- game series.
Lincecum (8-13) won his second straight start after giving up just six hits with two walks and two strikeouts, while Brandon Belt drove in the only run of the game for the Giants, who have won four of their last six.
Randall Delgado (4-5) was charged with the run on three hits and two walks over seven innings for the Diamondbacks, who have dropped their past two.
"After that first inning I felt pretty good out there," said Delgado. "He (Lincecum) pitched a fantastic game tonight and really had some good control with his pitches."
Arizona still trails Cincinnati, which lost to Colorado on Friday, by six games for the final Wild Card spot in the National League.
The only run of this game came in the first inning as Angel Pagan led off with a double, moved to third on Marco Scutaro's sac bunt, then came home on Belt's sac fly for a 1-0 lead.
Adam Eaton doubled with one out in the Arizona first and moved to third on a ground out from Paul Goldschmidt, but Martin Prado grounded out to end the frame.
The Diamondbacks put men on base in each of the next five innings and loaded the bags with one out in the sixth, but Lincecum struck out Miguel Montero then got A.J. Pollock to ground out to end the frame.
"He kept his poise when he got in a tough jam there and made some nice pitches," San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said of Lincecum.
Javier Lopez pitched a 1-2-3 seventh inning, while Santiago Casilla worked around a one-out walk in the eighth.
Sergio Romo gave up a one-out single to Miguel Montero in the ninth, but retired the next two batters for his 33rd save of the season.
San Fran has won nine of the 13 games against Arizona this season ... Lincecum moved to 8-8 in 23 lifetime meetings against Arizona in his career ... The Diamondbacks were 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Aug 31 12:26 AM
- Brandon Belt sacrifice fly out to center scored Angel Pagan with two outs. None on and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 30 9:44 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 9:41 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21