Padres edge GiantsSep 4, 2013 - 7:27 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Denorfia knocked in the go-ahead run in the seventh and San Diego Padres held on for a 3-2 win, their second straight of this three-game set with the San Francisco Giants.
Denorfia was down 0-2 when he lined a base hit into center with runners at the corners, providing the San Diego bullpen with a lead it would not relinquish.
"I just didn't see the ball really well the first pitch, after that I just kind of had to battle," said Denorfia. "I tried to do whatever I could to go the ball into the outfield."
Tim Stauffer (3-1) tossed 1 2/3 frames while Luke Gregerson and Huston Street each turned in a scoreless inning as well, with the latter notching his 27th save.
The Giants had their chances in the later stages, but left a runner in scoring position in each of the last four innings. They went 3-for-15 in such situations for the game and left 11 on base.
"It's what hurt us," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "We were good early and it's just gone the otherway now."
Pablo Sandoval and Joaquin Arias drove in a run apiece for San Francisco, which saw Madison Bumgarner go a sixth straight start without recording a win. He went six innings, allowing two runs on five hits with six strikeouts.
Jake Dunning (0-2) replaced Bumgarner to start the seventh, but lasted only two batters. He walked Nick Hundley and was lifted in favor of Javier Lopez after Ronny Cedeno's single put runners at the corners.
Lopez got pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay to pop out, but Denorfia lined a base hit to left to put the Padres in front.
Robbie Erlin took the mound for San Diego, lasting 5 1/3 innings. He allowed six hits and two runs while striking out five.
Bumgarner had stifled the Padres through the first four innings, but served up doubles to Kyle Blanks and Hundley in the fifth to fall behind, 1-0. He then intentionally walked Cedeno to get to Erlin, who recorded his first hit and RBI with a single to center to give San Diego a two-run lead.
However, the Giants got the two runs right back in the next half-frame. Brandon Belt and Buster Posey began the inning with singles, with Belt scoring on a base hit from Sandoval and Posey coming in on Arias's liner to center off Stauffer.
Bumgarner has dropped four decisions during his winless streak ... Hector Sanchez replaced Posey in the seventh after he fouled a pitch off his hand ... The Padres signed outfielder Will Venable to a two-year contract extension prior to the game ... San Diego recalled pitchers Anthony Bass, Brad Boxberger and Brad Brach from Triple-A Tucson ... The Giants recalled infielders Nick Noonan and Ehire Adrianza, outfielders Francisco Peguero and Juan Perez and pitchers George Kontos and Dunning from Triple-A Fresno. The team also designated outfielder Kensuke Tanaka and pitcher Dan Runzler for assignment and added pitcher Heath Hembree and catcher Johnny Monell to the active major league roster.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
SAN DIEGO: 3
Sep 4 1:22 AM
- Chris Denorfia singled to left scored Nick Hundley with one out. On the play, Ronny Cedeno advances to second. Runners on first and second and Will Venable due up.
Giants 2, Padres 3 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 4 12:42 AM
- Joaquin Arias singled to center scored Buster Posey with one out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second. Runners on first and second and Juan Perez due up.
Giants 2, Padres 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 3 11:57 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to left scored Brandon Belt with one out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 1, Padres 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 3 11:55 PM
- Robbie Erlin singled to center scored Nick Hundley with two outs. On the play, Ronny Cedeno advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Denorfia due up.
Giants 0, Padres 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 3 11:44 PM
- Nick Hundley doubled to center scored Kyle Blanks with two outs. Runner on second and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Giants 0, Padres 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 3 11:42 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 10:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21