Giants rally past RockiesSep 12, 2013 - 3:51 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Marco Scutaro and Brandon Belt hit RBI singles in the eighth inning Wednesday to lift the San Francisco Giants to a 4-3 win over the Colorado Rockies in the finale of a three-game series.
The Giants erased a 3-1 deficit with runs in the seventh and eighth innings and won two out of three to take the series.
Hunter Pence and Pablo Sandoval knocked in the other runs for San Francisco.
Guillermo Moscoso (2-2) threw two scoreless innings for the win and Santiago Casilla worked around a single in the ninth to earn his second save.
Yusmeiro Petit started for the Giants five days after taking a perfect game into the ninth inning and went 5 2/3 innings, giving up three runs on six hits and two walks. He struck out seven.
Nolan Arenado had two RBI for the Rockies, who dropped to 1-5 on a nine-game road trip.
Brandon Crawford and pinch-hitter Angel Pagan singled off Matt Belisle (5-7) to start San Francisco's eighth inning rally and moved up on a bunt. Belisle intentionally walked Buster Posey to load the bases, but the move backfired when Scutaro and Belt both singled to make it 4-3.
Troy Tulowitzki had a two-out pinch-hit single for the Rockies in the ninth, but Giants catcher Hector Sanchez scrambled for Charlie Blackmon's bunt and gunned him down at first base to end the game.
"I told our guys that sometimes the reward you get for playing hard is getting your heart broken. You play a lot of close games and a lot of tough games. Inevitably you're going to lose some tough games and that's how it goes," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss.
The Giants went 4-3 on a seven-game homestand. They took an early lead.
Gregor Blanco, Pence and Sandoval singled for the Giants in the third inning with Blanco scoring on Sandoval's hit to make it 1-0.
Petit retired the first 11 Rockies hitters before walking Corey Dickerson with two outs in the fourth. Michael Cuddyer followed with a single and Dickerson scored on Arenado's base hit to tie the game.
Petit, 28, lost a perfect game with two outs in the ninth Friday night against the Diamondbacks and had been 3-0 with a 1.71 ERA in three starts this season before Wednesday -- all since Aug. 27.
"He was good again. Got off to a good start, hit his spots," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of Petit. "They had some pretty good hitting over there. They found some holes but it wasn't like he was hit hard."
Arenado delivered another RBI single to plate Dickerson in the sixth and Charlie Culberson drove in Cuddyer with a hit to make it 3-1 Colorado and knock Petit from the game.
Left fielder Roger Kieschnick then threw Arenado out at home plate on a single by Jonathan Herrera to save a run for San Francisco.
In the seventh, the Giants pulled within 3-2 after Josh Outman walked the first three batters on 14 pitches and Pence hit a sacrifice fly.
The Giants won the season series 10-9 ... The Giants start a 10-game road trip Thursday with the opener of a four-game series against the Los Angeles Dodgers ...Colorado's nine-game road trip ends with three in a row against the Arizona Diamondbacks starting Friday.
- COLORADO: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Sep 11 7:06 PM
- Brandon Belt singled to left scoring Angel Pagan. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second and Francisco Peguero advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 4 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 11 6:44 PM
- Marco Scutaro singled to right scoring Brandon Crawford. On the play, Francisco Peguero advances to second and Angel Pagan advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Brandon Belt due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 3 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 11 6:42 PM
- Hunter Pence sacrifice fly to left scored Juan Perez. Runners on first and second and with one out and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 11 6:22 PM
- Charlie Culberson singled to center scoring Michael Cuddyer. On the play, Nolan Arenado advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 11 5:42 PM
- Nolan Arenado singled to right scoring Corey Dickerson. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 1 Top 6, 1 OutSep 11 5:37 PM
- Nolan Arenado singled to right scoring Corey Dickerson. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 11 4:51 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to center scoring Gregor Blanco. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hector Sanchez due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 11 4:36 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 3:45 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21