Pill HR helps Giants take down DodgersSep 16, 2013 - 12:24 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Brett Pill's pinch-hit solo homer in the eighth inning was the difference, as San Francisco topped Los Angeles, 4-3, in the finale of a four-game series.
"It feels good. I'm feeling more comfortable at the plate. I just tried to get on base," said Pill. "I got a pitch to hit and drove it."
Pill went deep off Paco Rodriguez (3-3) to give the visitors a one-run edge, and Sergio Romo eventually gained his 35th save, but not before walking a tightrope in the ninth.
Nick Buss led off with a single, then was sacrificed to second. Dee Gordon followed with a base hit and stole second to put two runners in scoring position with one out. Mark Ellis fanned but Adrian Gonzalez was given a free pass to load the bases. However, pinch-hitter Yasiel Puig grounded into a force at second to end the game.
"We had a great chance at the end and we just couldn't get it done," lamented Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
Jean Machi (3-1) tossed a scoreless seventh frame for the defending World Series champs, who have won seven of their last 10. Ryan Vogelsong worked the first six, allowing seven hits and three runs.
Hunter Pence slugged a pair of homers and drove in three for San Francisco, which took down the NL West leaders by a combined 27-8 count in their three wins to cap the set.
Adrian Gonzalez accounted for all of LA's runs with a bases-clearing double in the fifth. Edinson Volquez lasted 5 2/3 frames and gave up three runs on five hits with seven strikeouts.
Pence's solo shot to left center in the second put the Giants on the board.
Los Angeles loaded the bases in the home fifth on singles from Volquez and Gordon while Ellis was plunked. Gonzalez then put the hosts up 3-1 with his double to right.
Brandon Belt kept the Giants' sixth alive with a two-out single and Pence launched his second of the game, this one a shot to left, for a 3-3 deadlock.
"Every at-bat is unique. You have to block out everything else that's happening. Lately I've been fortunate. I try to see the ball and swing as hard as I can," said Pence, who has strafed enemy pitchers to the tune of 19 RBI over the last six games.
The Dodgers, who still own a 10 1/2 game lead over second-place Arizona, have lost eight of their last 11 games ... LA heads out on a 10-game road tripl beginning Monday, the start of a four-game set with the Diamondbacks ... Pence became just the second Giant to homer in every contest of a four-game series against the Dodgers, joining Hall of Famer Willie Mays ... Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro left the game in the fifth inning with lower back tightness ... Puig was only available in a pinch-hit role due to left hip soreness, while outfielder Andre Ethier was given the day off due to a sore ankle and infielder Hanley Ramirez received a cortisone shot for an ailing left hamstring.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 15 7:36 PM
- Ronald Belisario grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez out at second to end the game.
Sep 15 7:33 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brett Pill lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Nick Noonan due up.
Giants 4, Dodgers 3 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 15 6:55 PM
- Hunter Pence two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (25) to left scored Brandon Belt. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 3 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 15 6:05 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to right scored Edinson Volquez, Dee Gordon and Mark Ellis. Runner on second with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 15 5:51 PM
- Hunter Pence lead-off Home Run (24) to left center. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 15 4:28 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 4:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22