Pence caps special day with game-winning hitSep 30, 2013 - 1:31 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Hunter Pence's game-winning bases-loaded single in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted the San Francisco Giants to a 7-6 win over the San Diego Padres in the season finale for both teams.
The Padres held a 6-5 lead entering the ninth, but Francisco Peguero led off the bottom half with a game-tying homer into the seats in left-center off Huston Street (2-5).
Tony Abreu then singled before Brandon Belt walked. Buster Posey was then intentionally walked after Abreu scampered to third on a passed ball to load the bases.
Pence, who finalized a five-year deal worth $90 million earlier Sunday, stepped up next and belted a single to deep center to plate Abreu.
"That's a tough one, whether it's April, May, June, July, August or September," Padres manager Bud Black said. "Huston has been so reliable for us the past couple of years and it just goes to show that players are not invincible."
Pence finished with two hits and three RBI for the defending World Series- champion Giants (76-86), who won four of their last five games to close the year.
"You couldn't ask for a better story today with everything that happened," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "It felt like a playoff game. I guess the guys really wanted a piece of third place."
Sergio Romo (5-8) tossed a scoreless top of the ninth to pick up the win
Jedd Gyorko smacked a grand slam for San Diego (76-86), which had won three of its last four tilts coming in.
The game was tied 2-2 after four innings before Gyorko cracked his blast over the wall in left in the fifth to give San Diego a 6-2 spread.
San Francisco got a run back in the home fifth on Belt's RBI double and Pence brought home two more in the seventh with a single to pull the hosts within 6-5.
Giants starter Guillermo Moscoso allowed five runs on four hits and four walks over 4 1/3 innings, while Padres starter Tyson Ross fanned seven and surrendered three runs on seven hits and a walk over six frames.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 7
Sep 29 7:27 PM
- Hunter Pence single to center scored Tony Abreu with none out to end the game.
Padres 6, Giants 7 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 29 7:25 PM
- Francisco Peguero lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Tony Abreu due up.
Padres 6, Giants 6 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 29 7:13 PM
- Hunter Pence single to left scored Johnny Monell and Gregor Blanco with two out. On the play, Buster Posey advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Padres 6, Giants 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 29 6:32 PM
- Brandon Belt double to right scored Gregor Blanco with two out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Padres 6, Giants 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 29 5:53 PM
- Jedd Gyorko one-out, Grand Slam (23) to left scored Alexi Amarista, Chris Denorfia and Jesus Guzman. Chase Headley due up.
Padres 6, Giants 2 Top 5, 1 OutSep 29 5:38 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to right scored Brandon Belt with one out. On the play, Buster Posey advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Crawford due up.
Padres 2, Giants 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 29 5:16 PM
- Tommy Medica double to left scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on second and Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 2, Giants 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 29 5:06 PM
- Nick Hundley lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 1, Giants 1 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 29 4:45 PM
- Brandon Belt double to left scored Tony Abreu with one out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Padres 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 29 4:19 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 29 4:06 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21