Six-run sixth helps Rangers edge AstrosMay 12, 2013 - 5:13 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Nelson Cruz hit a two-run home run during a six-run sixth inning as the Texas Rangers survived to take an 8-7 win over the Houston Astros in the second of a three-game set.
Leonys Martin hit a two-run triple while Lance Berkman and Adrian Beltre each smacked a solo homer for the Rangers, who have won six of eight. Yu Darvish (6-1) worked seven innings and gave up three runs on three hits with three walks and eight strikeouts.
"It wasn't one of his better ones, but he always finds a way to get it done," Rangers manager Ron Washington said of Darvish. "He's a warrior and he found a way to get it done and got us through seven innings."
Matt Dominguez hit a two-run homer and a solo shot run for the Astros, who have dropped their past three games. Erik Bedard gave up two runs on four hits over five-plus innings, while Philip Humber (0-8) gave up five runs while recording just two outs to suffer his eighth loss in nine games this season.
Robbie Grossman doubled to leadoff the eighth and later came home on a Jose Altuve sacrifice fly to cut Houston's deficit to 8-4.
Michael Kirkman started the ninth on the mound for Texas, but didn't record an out as he was pulled after giving up a single to Carlos Corporan and a double to Carlos Pena.
Joe Nathan took over and Trevor Crowe singled in a run, then Pena scored on a wild pitch from Nathan. After Matt Dominguez grounded out, Marwin Gonzalez' sac fly made it a one-run game. Grossman then walked to bring the go-ahead run to the plate, but Chris Carter popped out and Nathan recorded his 11th save of the season.
Beltre's leadoff homer in the second got the Rangers on the board, but Dominguez tied the game with his first of the year with one out in the third.
"It's kind of big for me," Dominguez said of his homer. "I've been waiting for my first home run to come. It took awhile."
The Astros went on top in the fifth when Dominguez homered again, this time with Pena on base, for a 3-1 lead, but the Rangers blew the game open in the sixth.
Berkman singled to start the frame and Humber took over for Bedard. After Beltre struck out, Cruz smacked a pitch over the wall in center. Mitch Moreland followed with a triple and scored on David Murphy's opposite-field ground-rule double.
Geovany Soto worked a walk to put men on first and second, and Martin added a pinch-hit triple to score both runners. Elvis Andrus' single to center plated Martin for a 7-3 lead.
Berkman's leadoff homer in the seventh extended the lead to 8-3.
Texas has won eight of the last nine against Houston ... Darvish is 3-0 against the Astros in his career. In his other appearance against Houston this season, he came an out away from a perfect game as he pitched 8 2/3 innings before giving up a hit in a game on April 2 ... Dominguez became the first player to record a multi-home run game against Darvish in his career.
- TEXAS: 8
May 11 10:33 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left scored Trevor Crowe with two out. None on and Robbie Grossman due up.
Rangers 8, Astros 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 11 10:30 PM
- Carlos Pena scored on Joe Nathan's wild pitch with none out. On the play, Trevor Crowe advances to third. Runner on third and Matt Dominguez at the plate.
Rangers 8, Astros 6 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 11 10:29 PM
- Trevor Crowe single to center scored Carlos Corporan with none out. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runners on first and third and Matt Dominguez due up.
Rangers 8, Astros 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 11 10:24 PM
- Jose Altuve sacrifice fly to right scored Robbie Grossman with two out. None on and Jason Castro due up.
Rangers 8, Astros 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 11 10:00 PM
- Lance Berkman lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 8, Astros 3 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 11 9:27 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to center scored Leonys Martin with two out. Runner on first and Lance Berkman due up.
Rangers 7, Astros 3 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 11 9:13 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Leonys Martin triple to center scored David Murphy and Geovany Soto with one out. Runner on third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 6, Astros 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 11 9:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter David Murphy ground ruled double to left scored Mitch Moreland with one out. Runner on second with one out and Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 4, Astros 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 11 9:05 PM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Lance Berkman. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 3, Astros 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 11 8:59 PM
- Matt Dominguez one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (2) to left scored Carlos Pena. Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Rangers 1, Astros 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 11 8:43 PM
- Matt Dominguez one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Rangers 1, Astros 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 11 7:53 PM
- Adrian Beltre lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Astros 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 11 7:22 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 7:11 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21