Oakland pounds HoustonMay 26, 2013 - 6:08 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Josh Donaldson and Brandon Moss connected on back-to-back home runs in the fourth inning and the Oakland Athletics defeated the Houston Astros, 11-5, in the middle test of a three-game series.
Donaldson and Chris Young drove in two runs while, Coco Crisp, John Jaso, Seth Smith, Adam Rosales, Eric Sogard and Yoenis Cespedes each contributed with an RBI apiece to give the Athletics their seventh win in the last eight games.
Oakland starter A.J. Griffin (5-3) fanned seven and gave up four runs on five hits and a walk over 5 2/3 innings.
"When your team is putting up runs for you like that, you can't complain," Griffin said..
Jason Castro and Matt Dominguez had a pair of homers for the Astros. Starter Lucas Harrell (3-6) lasted just 1 2/3 innings, surrendering six runs in the outing. Edgar Gonzalez pitched 4 1/3 innings of relief, allowing four runs on eight hits and a walk.
"There's pretty much only two things to say about the game. It was embarrassing, and it was frustration," Harrell said.
The Astros struck first when Castro's solo shot sailed into the stands in right in the first.
However, the Athletics responded by scoring six runs in the second. Smith bunted to reach first, Donaldson singled and Moss drew a walk to load the bases.
Young's double scored Smith and Donaldson and Sogard's single plated Moss. Rosales ground out but brought Young home. Crisp hit a line drive to score Sogard and Smith ended the offensive output with a one-out RBI single.
Dominguez homered to start the third, but the Athletics tacked on another four runs in the fourth. Crisp walked to begin the frame and scored on a Jaso double. Cespedes singled, plating Jaso. After Smith grounded into a double play, Donaldson and Moss connected on back-to-back homers to give the A's an eight-run cushion.
Castro's second home run of the game started the home half. Two innings later, he smacked a single that scored Jose Altuve. Dominguez notched his second homer with one out in the seventh to cut the deficit to 10-5.
The Athletics added an insurance run in the eighth, when Donaldson ripped a double to left-center, scoring Smith.
Jesse Chavez pitched the final two innings for Oakland. He gave up a leadoff single to Jimmy Paredes in the ninth, but that was it.
Every Athletics starter had an RBI by the end of the fourth inning ... Young went 3-for-5 and has a 16-game hitting streak against Houston ... Dominguez and Castro are the first Astros players to have two home runs in the same game since Lance Berkman and Craig Biggio on July 25, 2005, against the Phillies.
- OAKLAND: 11
May 25 10:53 PM
- Josh Donaldson doubled to left scoring Seth Smith. Runner on second with none out and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 11, Astros 5 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 25 10:15 PM
- Matt Dominguez one-out, solo Home Run 2 (7) to left. Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Athletics 10, Astros 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 25 9:58 PM
- Jason Castro singled to center scoring Jose Altuve. Runner on first with one out and J.D. Martinez due up.
Athletics 10, Astros 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 25 9:32 PM
- Jason Castro lead off Home Run 2 (6) to right. J.D. Martinez due up.
Athletics 10, Astros 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 25 8:56 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, solo Home Run (7) to right center. Chris Young due up.
Athletics 10, Astros 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 25 8:46 PM
- Josh Donaldson two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 9, Astros 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 25 8:44 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to right center scored John Jaso with none out. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 8, Astros 2 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 25 8:40 PM
- John Jaso double to left center scored Coco Crisp with none out. Runner on second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 7, Astros 2 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 25 8:38 PM
- Matt Dominguez lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Athletics 6, Astros 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 25 8:24 PM
- Seth Smith singled to center scoring Coco Crisp. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 6, Astros 1 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 25 7:55 PM
- Coco Crisp singled to right scoring Eric Sogard. Runner on first with one out and John Jaso due up.
Athletics 5, Astros 1 Top 2, 1 OutMay 25 7:48 PM
- Adam Rosales grounded out short to first scoring Chris Young. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 4, Astros 1 Top 2, 1 OutMay 25 7:47 PM
- Eric Sogard singled to left scoring Brandon Moss. On the play, Chris Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Adam Rosales due up.
Athletics 3, Astros 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 25 7:43 PM
- Chris Young doubled to left scoring Seth Smith and Josh Donaldson. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 2, Astros 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 25 7:41 PM
- Jason Castro two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. J.D. Martinez due up.
Athletics 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 25 7:29 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 7:16 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21