Astros beat Angels for fifth straight winJun 2, 2013 - 11:36 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Carlos Pena went 2-for-4 with a solo homer and two runs scored to lead the Houston Astros to a 5-4 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the third installment of a four-game set.
Matt Dominguez added a pair of RBI and Carlos Corporan also homered for the Astros, who have won a season-high five straight games.
Jordan Lyles (3-1) gave up two runs on six hits while striking out five over 5 2/3 innings to earn the win. Hector Ambriz retired the final three batters in the ninth inning to earn his second save of the season.
"Jordan threw to both sides of the plate today. He's got good secondary stuff. We're playing really good ball," Astros manager Bo Porter said. "The guys are locked into situations. I am proud of the entire organization."
Hank Conger hit a two-run homer and Mark Trumbo added a solo shot for the Angels.
C.J. Wilson (4-4) gave up three runs on six hits while fanning nine over 7 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"You've got to control what you can control. I had a good game for me in a lot of ways, but when you lose by one run its frustrating," Wilson said.
Corporan's solo shot gave the Astros a 1-0 lead in the first, but the Halos tied it up in the third on Albert Pujols' base hit.
J.B. Shuck opened the inning with a base hit, moved to second on Erick Aybar's ground out and took third on a wild pitch on Mike Trout's strikeout. Pujols followed with a base hit to center to push Shuck across.
Pena smashed Wilson's first pitch in the fifth inning over the wall in right field to put Houston ahead 2-1, before J.D. Martinez singled home Brandon Barnes in the sixth to give the visitors a two-run edge.
Trumbo's solo shot in the home half brought LA within 3-2, but the Astros added a pair of insurance runs in the ninth to go up by three.
Chris Carter and Pena opened the inning with back-to-back singles. Alberto Callaspo's throw on Trevor Crowe's sacrifice bunt attempt was off target, loading the bases for Dominguez, who singled to left field to score Carter and Pena.
Conger crushed a two-run homer off Brad Peacock with no outs in the ninth inning. Ambriz was called on to replace Peacock, and retired the next three batters in order to nail down the win for the Astros.
Houston will send Erik Bedard to the mound on Monday as the Astros look to pick up their first series sweep of the season. The Angels will counter with Joe Blanton ... The Angels haven't been swept since dropping three to the Oakland Athletics April 9-12.
- HOUSTON: 5
LOS ANGELES: 4
Jun 2 7:00 PM
- Hank Conger none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right center scored Alberto Callaspo. J.B. Shuck due up.
Astros 5, Angels 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 2 6:54 PM
- Matt Dominguez single to left scored Chris Carter and Carlos Pena with none out. On the play, Trevor Crowe advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Astros 5, Angels 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 2 6:35 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (13) to left center. Josh Hamilton due up.
Astros 3, Angels 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 2 5:21 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to left scored Brandon Barnes with two out. Runner on first and Chris Carter due up.
Astros 3, Angels 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 2 5:16 PM
- Carlos Pena lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Jimmy Paredes due up.
Astros 2, Angels 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 2 4:54 PM
- Albert Pujols single to right center scored J.B. Shuck with one out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Astros 1, Angels 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 2 4:33 PM
- Carlos Corporan two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 2 3:44 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 3:40 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21